• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    So I think with my tax return I want to purchase an m1a, but I really cant decide which one.

price is not the driving factor. lets say that they cost the same just for argument sake

option 1 the regular m1a spring field, green or black synthetic stock and 22” barrel

option 2 m1a socom 16

I don’t plan to run optics, the longest range that I have to shoot is 200 yards, that being said I have lots of guns that shoot that so the ability to shoot farther would be cool but not often if ever used

So which would you pick

more or less does any one have personal experiace with both that could lend some pro's and con's

Last edited:

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    M1A

I bought a M1A full size, sent it in to replace the bbl with the shortest
    legal bbl, then the Socom came out. Wish I would have waited.
    I put a MB on it. Shot great, loud though. I like short bbls.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    My dream M1A would be the "M25 White Feather". Some one had one for sale here on INGO for about 4000 or so. If I had the money right now new I would get the Super match.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    If it were me making the choice I'd go for the "scout" option with the 18" barrel, but I'm interested in a general purposes rifle in 308. For that role I think the 18" barrel is the way to go.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    If it were me making the choice I'd go for the "scout" option with the 18" barrel, but I'm interested in a general purposes rifle in 308. For that role I think the 18" barrel is the way to go.

My advice too, especially if you were to only own one M1A.... yeah right !!! See avatar !!!

Also the 18.5" Scout/ Bush rifle is usually more accurate than the 22" standard out to 200-300 yards. We had a very lengthy test and discussion over at M14TFL on the different barrel lengths and accuracy.

There was also a test in a gun mag where they cut down barrels an inch at a time (from 22", 24" & 26"), recrowned and test fired. They had the same conclusions that 18" or w/in an inch was a magic length....

Here are a few of mine including a Bush rifle (Scout that was neutered/ scope rail removed):

M1AGroup-Copy.jpg

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    Go with the scout/squad model(18" barrel). They are very reasonably priced now and I am sure you can pick one up at the 1500 this month. In my opinion the socom's muzzle blast makes it not fun to shoot. It is amazing what two more inches will do to tame things down. If you don't want the forward mount on the scout/squad you can take it off, sell it for $50-60 and replace with a vented hand guard. Thats my :twocents:.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    well thanks for the imput seems like is all split down the middle.

im leaning twords full size, noise being my main reason, for loud i already have an sbr

paramed60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Oolitic, IN
    Back in the day I was trained by Uncle with the full size (M14) still like the longer traditional look. I have to agree with the 18" barrel though, research says it all. Enjoy it what ever you buy.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Also the 18.5" Scout/ Bush rifle is usually more accurate than the 22" standard out to 200-300 yards. We had a very lengthy test and discussion over at M14TFL on the different barrel lengths and accuracy.

There was also a test in a gun mag where they cut down barrels an inch at a time (from 22", 24" & 26"), recrowned and test fired. They had the same conclusions that 18" or w/in an inch was a magic length....

Interesting. How about beyond 300?

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    well thanks for the imput seems like is all split down the middle.

im leaning twords full size, noise being my main reason, for loud i already have an sbr

Replace the muzzle break with a standard FH, but w/out the lug.... easier to remove the gas plug with the shortened length at the gas system and end of the barrel.

Everything is louder w/ MB !!!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned everything from the SOCOM up to Super Match. For just pure fun the SOCOM was by far the best and most fun. But in terms of accuracy the SM was the tops. A standard Loaded rifle would be my recommendation. The Scout is pretty handy as well. I really miss my SOCOM but I let a certain Monkey talk me out of it! :xmad:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I've owned everything from the SOCOM up to Super Match. For just pure fun the SOCOM was by far the best and most fun. But in terms of accuracy the SM was the tops. A standard Loaded rifle would be my recommendation. The Scout is pretty handy as well. I really miss my SOCOM but I let a certain Monkey talk me out of it! :xmad:

Was this Monkey from Indy??? :D

A Std. Loaded model is probably the best buy in M1As (at least new).

I was also going to suggest that the OP checked out the M14Forum for rifles there. Alot of rifles sell with USGI components for less than a new one will run.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    So I think with my tax return I want to purchase an m1a, but I really cant decide which one.

price is not the driving factor. lets say that they cost the same just for argument sake

option 1 the regular m1a spring field, green or black synthetic stock and 22” barrel

option 2 m1a socom 16

I don’t plan to run optics, the longest range that I have to shoot is 200 yards, that being said I have lots of guns that shoot that so the ability to shoot farther would be cool but not often if ever used

So which would you pick

more or less does any one have personal experiace with both that could lend some pro's and con's

I have had the standard size M1A and the Scout Squad and have handled the Socom. I prefer the standard M1A the most and love it with open sights. The scout squad is also great and may be a good compromise for you if you aren't sure about the standard or socom. No matter which you choose they are all amazing rifles and an awesome platform.

Top Bottom