• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    If I become a resident of a different state do you know if my Indiana resident license becomes void?

Yes. And Indiana does not issue to non-residents outside of a narrow scope (working or owning a business in Indiana.)

I get that and appreciate that website but do all those with power know their own law? I can see it now, get pulled over and cop comes over and starts to snoop and asks you to step out. “Oh, wait officer, I need to take my gun off and put it away before I do that!” Or you step out thinking all is good and you realize you have your gun on you and try to explain to the officer that situation.

I understand the law but I do not want to try and convince a tired, close to the end of shift officer that I know the law. NOT ALL LEO’s are the same but we are talking about Illnois. ( I have utmost respect for anyone who is a cop, especially now days.)

There is always a possibility of an officer not knowing the law and hassling you for legal behavior. But IMO if you are respectful to the officer, it is uncommon. It's still better to carry legally within the confines of Illinois law then to disarm just "in case" an officer doesn't know the law. In that unlikely circumstance, it would be annoying but in the end you'd be vindicated.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Keep a printout of that subsection in your vehicle. Don't do your usual 9-14 over in Illinois... keep the cruise locked at 4 over and you'll be fine...
    Don't do 4 under in a u-haul either... And definitely don't have a vehicle containing your mother in law following you who when ask about guns say "he carries one on his hip".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If I become a resident of a different state do you know if my Indiana resident license becomes void?
    No it stays valid.

Yes it does become void and you're supposed to inform ISP as soon as you move (30 days or something like that.)

If you have a lifetime as soon as you move back you can update it and you don't have to get another one.
    No it doesn't. It's been discussed several times here, there is no mechanism in IN to "pause" a LTCH, it can be suspended but only for certain reasons moving out of state is not one.

Yes. And Indiana does not issue to non-residents outside of a narrow scope (working or owning a business in Indiana.)
    That is only for issuing, see above.

Top Bottom