• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I just ordered some Bayou Bullets 140 gr., 155 gr., and 165 gr. to do some load workups. Should be here early next week.

Not exactly sure what I am going to use here, but I might try TiteGroup, WST or W231 (or maybe Bullseye). I got 200 of each bullet weight, and I like to work up 20-25 of each load to get a good feel for the performance and accuracy. The W231 is the slowest of that group, so I might pass on the W231 for the first run through.
    I am not totally opposed to spring changes as I have mentioned multiple times, but boy it sure would be nice to run the same springs for both Major and Minor... I'm probably dreaming, but hey, this is America!!! :patriot:

for my steel loads I use 3.8 of WST under a 155gr bullet

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    3.6 gr WST filled the case pretty well but I’m guessing that it’s not going to be as soft shooting as we’re looking for because some people are getting major out of 4.2 gr.
    I might run a couple 3.4 to see how they feel and cycle

Are you sure? I run 4.5 gr WST for my standard Major PF loads, and I actually did some testing up to 4.7 gr and I have/had no issues with space in the case.

Thanks, I will try that. You are running a 12# recoil spring if I remember correctly. Are you using that same spring with your steel loads?

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you sure? I run 4.5 gr WST for my standard Major PF loads, and I actually did some testing up to 4.7 gr and I have/had no issues with space in the case.

I guess I was as clear as mud there. The 3.6gr of WST seemed to fill the case better than 3.8gr of 231. 231 must be more dense
    This was without actually measuring open space, just an eyeball.

It it sounds like Allen M has the combo we’re looking for, next time I order bullets I’m going to get some 165s in a different color

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

Thanks, I will try that. You are running a 12# recoil spring if I remember correctly. Are you using that same spring with your steel loads?

Yeah 12 lb works for both in mine

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just from a price prospective, SNS has some coated 140gr 40 bullets that I thought would be interesting to work up for a light load. Published load data is very limited. Anyone messed around with these?

4.0-4.4gr of WST at 1.180 OAL with the SNS 140gr bullets is what my friend is using for 40 minor. I'm about to experiment with the same load for shooting steel challenge or Friday Night Steel.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

I loved this load! Tested out really nice at about 134 Power Factor. I also really liked a 140 gr. bullet load that came in at about 129 Power Factor. I need to load some more cartridges and do some more accuracy testing.

I tested a bunch of other light loads (140 gr., 155 gr., and 165 gr. loads), but I won't bore you with all of that data, but these were my two favorite light loads out of the group. I am not really happy with the ES or SD numbers for either of these loads, but I was using the Dillon powder drop and mixed cases in order to get a good feel for how a standard load would look.

This is the "Allen M" load (155 gr):

Series No24
    Total number of shots13
    Bullet Type:Bayou RN
    Bullet Weight:155
    Powder:WST
    Weight:3.8
    COAL:1.18
    Primer:CCI 500
    Case:Mixed
    Stats - Average877.85fps
    Stats - Highest906.00fps
    Stats - Lowest846.00fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread60.00fps
    Stats - Std. Dev17.96fps
    Avg Power Factor134.27

Here is the 140 gr load data:

Series No26
    Total number of shots15
    Bullet Type:Bayou RN
    Bullet Weight:140
    Powder:WST
    Weight:4.2
    COAL:1.18
    Primer:CCI 500
    Case:Mixed
    Stats - Average941.40fps
    Stats - Highest980.00fps
    Stats - Lowest901.00fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread79.00fps
    Stats - Std. Dev20.05fps
    Avg Power Factor129.28

Overall, I could easily live with either of these loads. As I mentioned, I need to check on the accuracy a bit more, which I will do when I get a chance.

They were light, low recoil and great followup shots with a 12# spring.

Remember, these loads were developed using a long COAL for a competition 2011 gun. Please use this data at your own risk!!!

Top Bottom