• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skey01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    KREIGER barrels ROCK... I have 6 rifles built with Kreiger barrels they all shooooot!!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i used a #5 shelin select match barrel cut at 26 inches on my 358 bfg. its not the lightest gun i own, but i use it in indiana not out climbing moutains. i walk mabye 3/4 a mile to a stand and sit down and rest the gun. for me hunting in indiana wieght is not much of a concern. the barrel is pretty long but in im doing a push or stalking or anything else that the length would be a hinderance i have a 1187 with a red dot that works great for fast accusition

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I ordered my .358 WSSM from McGowen. 22" chromoly, 1:14" twist, Savage Magnum taper, recessed target crown. Matte black/blue finish. Matches the Savage WSM action perfectly. My buddy got the same thing in stainless. We sent him our reamer and I paid ~$270, chambered, crowned, finished and installed on my action. My buddy paid ~$30 more for stainless.

The Savage Magnum Taper from McGowen is similar to a varmint taper.

In hind sight I would have gone one taper thinner, I can't complain with 1/2" groups though.

But yes, I'd probably do a "sporter" taper if I could, but depending on exactly what that means at your barrel maker, it might be too thin with a .350" hole drilled through it.

I'm spoiled now. The barrel shoots so well and is so easy to clean, I doubt I'll ever buy a factory barrel again.

Savage358WSSM01.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom