• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggjimm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Grant Co.
    Hey all. I've been a member for a while but usually just read thru & try to learn a few things.
    I've been reloading for a couple years now & have a couple loads developed that work real nice in one of my Encore 357 max barrels. The other one, a 20" SS custom shop mag barrel that has been re-chambered to a max, won't shoot a group for nothing. I want to load some bullets long to get closer to the rifling & need a powder that doesn't require a heavy crimp since I won't be in the crimp groove. I've got some IMR 4227 but don't know if it requires a firm crimp or not.
    Any ideas on this or any other powder for this particular application?
    Also, I've got a standard RCBS roll crimp seater die, a RCBS taper crimp seater die & a Lee factory crimp die for loading the max.
    Thanks. Jim.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've had the best luck with AA1680 for both 158GR XTP FPs & 180GR SSP Bullets. If you are looking for a long bullet, those SSP bullets should get you alot closer to the lands than an XTP.

biggjimm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Grant Co.
    jsn_mooney, actually, if you compare an xtp & ssp side by side, you'll see that the bearing surface of the xtp will hit the rifling much sooner than the ssp bullet. The xtp has much more bearing surface.

For one thing I can not find any 180 ssp but have a large supply of xtp on hand.

Parson, I'm very familiar with David's site & exceptional work he does but haven't found what I'm looking for there either. And what I'm looking for is a powder to use in this max case that doesn't have to be crimped hard like the H-110 & W296 that I've been loading with.

I don't know enough about burn rates yet & all that to just be able to look at the chart & pick a powder that will suit my needs as far as not needing a hard crimp to get it lit good.

So hopefully someone has some ideas before I send this barrel to David to be re-chambered to something else. Thanks for your replies & God bless. Jim.

Last edited:

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    If you can find some of the AA 1680, give it a try. I load beyond the cannelure and don't crimp. It has shot well for me. Accurate Arms site has a special section for 357 maximum with 1680 in T/C arms.

biggjimm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Grant Co.
    Thank you parson, that is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. And, 1680 is on my list to try as soon as I can locate some. I'll definitely check out that Accurate Arms site.
    I've read about 1680 being one of the best performing powders in the max for a lot of guys. My other barrel will shoot 3/4" groups @ 100 yds all day long with 20.0 gr of H-110 under a firm crimped 180 XTP & Rem 7 1/2 primers but this other barrel is apparently a little finicky. But, that's one of the aspects I enjoy about reloading. Finding that perfect combination of a handful of variables & putting them all together to come out in the end with -1" groups to show for all your effort. Thank you so much.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Have you tried different weight of bullets?

the Noe 360-180 wfn shoots good in everything 35 cal I own.

there are other clones of the 180 out there for sale commercially.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Have you tried different weight of bullets?

the Noe 360-180 wfn shoots good in everything 35 cal I own.

there are other clones of the 180 out there for sale commercially.

I have that NOE mold in the gas check version. I bought it for 35 Rem, but it will shoot well in the maxi also.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I used to use imr4227 with a magnum primer and a not to heavy a crimp back when I had one with good accuracy.

Might be more than just the load. I just went though a similar thing with 41m carbine custom shop barrel. I finally put o-rings between the forearm and barrel on the screw. That got it much better and then I changed powders to get it good. It almost beat me but I won. It was my wife's encore and she shot a deer with it last weekend. I was as happy as her after fighting that gun.

The 357max is usually a pretty easy caliber to work with.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy had poor groups with his .357 max initially using 180's.
    Some guy did a Ruger #1 CHP into Maxiumum, had a write up on the web (just looked, can't find it).
    My bud got ahold of that guy and he said his load wasn't hot enough.
    Buddy bumped it up and groups shrank to very good.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom