• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I've called 4 different shops that advertise gunsmithing, and they've all said they don't pin flash hiders. Isn't that... gunsmithing?

Anyway, does anyone know of any local gunsmiths near Avon? More specifically, ones that do blind pinning or silver soldering :P. I'd even settle for a machine shop that knows what they're doing...

I've reviewed the sticky post, but either it needs an update, or i haven't called every shop to ask yet. Don't wanna waste anyone's time!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes, its gunsmithing, but not all gunsmiths, can do every single aspect of gunsmithing. Would you expect all mechanics to be able to work on everything mechanical?

Might be that they are not able to charge enough to make it worth their time, or they are unfamiliar w/ the laws on how to do it and be 100 percent in compliance.

I would consider myself a gunsmith, even though there is still tons out there i want to perfect and be able to do, but at least i know what my limits are and what i am and am not capable of doing 100 percent perfectly 100 percent of the time.

I myself have never even been asked to pin and sodder an ar barrel in 5+ years including 5 years working for another gunsmith. How would i know i can take in the work and be perfect at it, if i have never done it? And why would i take time off the clock doing other projects that make money, just to teach myself how to do something that no one in half a decade has wanted done?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Get ahold of Anthony, from Law Guns, on Shelby Street.

I have instructions, but have never done it. I'd be willing to give you a hand. Honestly, I believe the only daunting part is re-park'ing the scar. (check out the link I added, there may not even be a scar)

ETA: Solder your own flash hider/muzzle brake

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

I have instructions, but have never done it. I'd be willing to give you a hand. Honestly, I believe the only daunting part is re-park'ing the scar. (check out the link I added, there may not even be a scar)

ETA: Perm Attached FH with 1100 degree silver solder - AR15.COM

a pin an tack weld should touch up w/ cold blue and be barely noticable. esp if you put it on the bottom. I am not that good of a welder though. :(

jjohnisme

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Brownsburg
    If you already called them, I apologize... But what about Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supplies?

Did you try Fort Liberty? The welded a broken tab back on an old shotgun and refinished it for me.

The people i spoke to at Fort Liberty and Plainfield both said they do NOT do gunsmithing. I was disappointed, especially since Plainfield has gotten my business multiple times in the past, i could have sworn they had gunsmithing services...

Yes, its gunsmithing, but not all gunsmiths, can do every single aspect of gunsmithing. Would you expect all mechanics to be able to work on everything mechanical?

Copy that, my original post was somewhat snobbish, i apologize.

Got a phone number for me for Law Guns? And is that Shelby St near Downtown?

Top Bottom