• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Greetings All -

I live on the northwest side of Noblesville (just a stones throw from Westfield line).

To whom should I contact about discharging a firearm (pistol) in my area? I suspect the answer will be no-go but we live on a couple acres with farmland to the east and protected wetlands to the south.

Do I contact the county police or city police to obtain clarification?

Side note: Got my new XDm9 tonight and very anxious to clean and break it in!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you live in an incorporated area they can have ordinances against it and they should be fairly easy to find on your town's website. IMO a passive approach is best ie searching yourself and not calling someone. That way you know for sure and not just the opinion of someone else.

If you are outside city limits have a ball!

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Even in the county I would go around let neighbor know that they might here small arm fire near by. With all the news of the mass killing that happen here in Indiana of all places and like other paraniod folk that "think" gun are the devil work.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you inside city limits?
    American Legal Publishing: Online Library
    ui-bookmark.gif
    § 131.01
    chapter131misdemeanors
    DISCHARGE
    chapter131misdemeanors
    OF DANGEROUS PROJECTILES PROHIBITED;
    chapter131misdemeanors
    DISCHARGE
    chapter131misdemeanors
    OF FIREARMS.

(A) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall
    chapter131misdemeanors
    discharge
    chapter131misdemeanors
    within the limits of the city any dangerous projectile. Dangerous projectiles such as prohibited by this section shall include, but shall not be limited to, projectiles
    chapter131misdemeanors
    discharged
    chapter131misdemeanors
    by air (including air pistols and rifles); by gas (including pellets); by powder (including all firearms); or projectiles propelled by other mechanical means. (Ord. 775, passed 4-27-59)
    (B) (1)
    chapter131misdemeanors
    Discharge
    chapter131misdemeanors
    of firearms within the Noblesville city limits will be permitted on property meeting the following geographic standards:
    (a) Bound by Interstate-69, Olio Road, East 146th Street, and Atlantic Road;
    (b) Parcels of five acres or more in area.
    (2) The following restrictions are placed on the properties meeting the conditions set forth in division (B)(1) above:
    (a) No
    chapter131misdemeanors
    discharge
    chapter131misdemeanors
    of firearms within 500 feet of a property line;
    (b)
    chapter131misdemeanors
    Discharge
    chapter131misdemeanors
    of firearms limited to hunting and protection of farm animals with no target practice or sport shooting allowed;
    (c)
    chapter131misdemeanors
    Discharge
    chapter131misdemeanors
    of high-powered rifles are not permitted in any circumstance;
    (d) Individuals are responsible for line-of-fire.
    (3) Any officer of the Police Department and any other duly authorized state or county law enforcement officer shall enforce this section.
    (4) Absent any legislative action to the contrary, this division (B) shall expire ten years after its adoption.
    (Ord. 2-1-05, passed 2-14-05) Penalty, see § 131.99
    Or outside of city limits:
    Municode - Search
    No discharge ordinance noted

I don't think zoning would apply to you. It seems to be for actual ranges, not shooting on private property.
    Municode - Search

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    Even in the county I would go around let neighbor know that they might here small arm fire near by. With all the news of the mass killing that happen here in Indiana of all places and like other paraniod folk that "think" gun are the devil work.

I live out in the country and small-arms fire is normal throughout the course of a typical day and I don't think anything of it.

BryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks for the information gang. unionblue19 brought up a good point. Even though our community has a hand full of homes, it would be wise to just touch base with them.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks for the information gang. unionblue19 brought up a good point. Even though our community has a hand full of homes, it would be wise to just touch base with them.
    Might be a good way to meet the neighbors too.

goodspeed11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Police department said as long as I was out of the Noblesville City limits I was ok, but had to shoot sensibly with the amount of "urban sprawl" in the area. I shoot on my Mom's 80 acres which now backs up to the new roundabouts and other fun stuff on Union Chapel Road. The office said it would be best to go to city planning to make sure I was good on zoning.

So off I went to the city planning department to see if we were good. Her property is outside of city limits, but inside of city planning... but I was again told to be sensible about my shooting. It seemed like a bit of a gray area with the whole "city planning" zone, but until an officer shows up, I'll continue to shoot their.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Just to play devils advocate, what if you approach neighbors and get one or two negative reactions? Do you abide their wishes or do you shoot anyway and then really **** them off?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I don't recall the visits being made to ask permission. I would make them light hearted with a big smile and informative followed with a thank you and leave. If someone engages you further play your hand from a position of power and control the conversation and keep smiling.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Hey Bry!

You either found out that you could shoot or someone else beat you to it. I live in the area described and heard plenty of small arms fire Wednesday afternoon. Hope it went well. Unfortunately, I am definitely inside the city limits. So, no shooting at home for me.

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Why not just join the Hamilton County Fish & Game Club. They are between Noblesville and Cicero, and have a pistol and rifle range. Members are able to use the range during daylight hours, and often when I am at the range, I have the range entirely to myself. It is safe, and hassle-free, as long as you abide by all the rules.

Check it out: Hamilton County Fish & Game - Welcome!

Top Bottom