• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    It was interesting to me to read that Carlos Hathcock's longest sniper shot record has been broken several times in the last 5 years by different snipers. The current (known) longest shot is 2,707 yards, done by a British sniper using the .338 Lapua Magnum round.

That's not nearly as impressive as this:

"US Marine Corps Staff Sergeant Steve Reichert killed an entire Iraqi insurgent machine gun crew of 3, behind a brick wall, with a single round from 1 mile away."
    He was using a Barrett M82A3, .50 caliber, with a Raufoss high explosive round.

So, one shot, three kills? :rockwoot:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYwMrsaLxs&feature=PlayList&p=33D28BDE121D2175&playnext=1&index=10]YouTube - Steve Reichert Sniper 1 mile kill shot p1[/ame]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hathcock was definitely a pioneer.

But we'd all be well to know that while he did possess TREMENDOUS skill at his art / job, he didn't even have the most recorded kills in the Vietnam conflict.

He's popular due to a few books and a few movies.

Not to take anything away from White Feather, mind you, just we'd all be well served to keep things in perspective.

-J-

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    they do make some impressive shots but for evey shot they make how many are misses. not to take anything away from them but how many could repeat those long 2700 yard shots and how many rounds did it take to get on target.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You have to understand one thing, rifles, ammo, and optics have come along way since Vietnam. If Carlos would have had what the snipers today do, it would be a different story. He may have not had the most kills, but some of his shots where amazing.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    they do make some impressive shots but for evey shot they make how many are misses. not to take anything away from them but how many could repeat those long 2700 yard shots and how many rounds did it take to get on target.
    I don't know, but I am not going to argue, with ANYONE, that can shoot me from 2700 yards, away, I can't see that far... AND being a MARINE, AND a SOLDIER, I "know" what kind of training these people, go thru, and it's no picnic...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Having known and shot with a couple of real trained snipers in my time, I will tell you they take a great deal of pride in what they do. They do not miss very often, even at very long ranges.

They know their equipment and always continue to train and learn.

Also you have to understand it is not just one man, but a team of two very good snipers that work together. The better the team, the better the shots will be.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Hey Indy_Guy_77, didn't mean to leave any of the other snipers from Hathcock's era off of the post, I was only commenting about the longest shot, which Carlos held for a very long time.

I would imagine the argument for the top sniper is for who had the most important kills. Snipers are taught never to shoot the guy in front, wait and hit the guy that matters. That's what makes the sniper such a powerful weapon. He picks and chooses his targets, he's not random, he takes one shot, and makes that one shot matter the most.

Spotter on, Sniper on....Send it.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    Snipers take and make the most difficult shots on the planet. Rather from WWII through our current conflict's the sniper has proven to be one of the most leathal and important rifles on the battlfield.

Ryean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Personally, I think this British snipers kills were more impressive. 3 shots, 2 kills, 1 disabled PKM.

Hotshot sniper in one-and-a-half mile double kill - Times Online

9 shots, you know how the media like to stir.

"Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot. (Wikipedia)"

.338 was the perfect choice.

Top Bottom