• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    (Not sure if this is the right area to post this)

Just wondering where everyone is doing their long range shooting? Im talking about anything longer than 500 yards. I have some buddies on farms that i can shoot out past 1000 yards at. Just wondering if there are other places that any of you know of that allow these distances to the public? I dont like always hitting them up..."hey bro can i come shoot at your house??"

Thanks in advance

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    There was one over by La Grange (Woodruff I believe) that had 1000 yrds (I believe), you had to be a NRA member to use it. I can't think of the name.
    I've never been there, but, I remember reading about it here.

PurdueJim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    If you find a farmer that has several hundred acres , sometimes they are OK if you want to take out some coyotes and practice a little. Just have to ask without coming across sounding like your crazy.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Find one of the disciplines we shoot at Atterbury that strikes your fancy, and come shoot. We shoot from 500 through 1,800 twice a month from March through September.

cihprs.org

-Nate

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Find one of the disciplines we shoot at Atterbury that strikes your fancy, and come shoot. We shoot from 500 through 1,800 twice a month from March through September.

cihprs.org

-Nate

This is a great suggestion. Atterbury is a real treat! I always feel a little better about my tax dollars when I hear the A-10's making a run.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah, and no...

We expect shooters to safely follow the Course of Fire, move when we move, follow the rules (our rules, in addition to the standard Safety Rules)

But if you come and pay your fee, and pair up with somebody who knows what's going on, chances are good that you can fire however you want to from the various yardlines as an Out-of-Competition shooter. Course, everything beyond 200 is prone for us anyway. Be safe and courteous, and you should be fine.

Electronic targets that link into your smartphone mean instantaneous feedback...at 5-600 yards, the shot will be on the phone before you can take the rifle down to look. At 800-1,000, it takes a second or two due to bullet travel. These targets also mean we don't walk to the pits, or even score in the pits now. Setup and take down are the only times we head downrange. If you want group metrics, the software will do that too, and screenshots can be saved for later use.

The exception to that rule is that when we get beyond 1,000 for the ELR matches, we shoot on paper. There's just too much risk--between the very long range, untested rifles at that range, and a lot broader types of shooters wanting to 'try ELR'--of somebody shooting a hole in a VERY expensive sensor....the paper is 6 feet X 6 feet, but that's not that big at a mile in the wind.

-Nate

Top Bottom