Cons:
    They seem to multiply when you get one.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Rifle is cheap...ammo is cheap...and it is available. Where can you buy a high powered rifle in the $100-$150 range?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    My best Mosin Nagant memory. Pretty sure I was more more surprised than the crow!

The sky was becoming a consistent, pre-dawn gray as I crawled through the underbrush. The M39 Mosin Nagant, while heavy, dragged quietly along beside me as I'm sure it did for another soldier during the Great Winter War. My pace slowed even more as I approached the shore of the lake. There was a long-abandoned roadway ahead of me and I came to a halt, growing still to listen and slowly scan my surroundings.

I looked down at the M39, a Sako with the SK.Y markings of the Finnish Home Guard (the 1939 Finn version of SOCOM. :rockwoot:) and a "D" code barrel. This rifle was, in its day, one of the more fearsome main battle rifles in existence. Lying there in the frosty underbrush, I wondered how many Russians this particular rifle had ended during the Great War and realizing I would never know the truth, accepted the answer as being "many."

Moving at a nearly imperceptible pace, I slithered noiselessly to the edge of the broken roadway. A very light breeze puffed at my cheek. The surface of the frozen lake was only lightly stirred by the wind, moving wisps of snow here and there. I slowly lifted the binoculars to my eyes and began scanning the area. Little was stirring aside from me, the breeze, and a few tiny birds flitting about the brush nearby.

Somewhere way off to my right quarter, a crow launched into a fit of cawing. The binos drifted in that general direction, slowly, incrementally, like the stalk of a mantis. It was sitting on a partially submerged snag near the base of the cliff that ringed the far side of the lake. I grinned at the absurdity of what I knew was about to be attempted. The crow ranged at about 400 yards. I slid the M39's rear sight up to the 400 meter marking and set about constructing my firing position. The crow continued its scolding.

It looked like a speck of dust on top of the front sight. My breathing settled, so went the sights. I began timing the gentle bumps of my heartbeats, ensuring the rifle settled back to a consistent six o'clock hold on the tiny black dust speck across the lake. I began taking up the absurd military trigger until resistance was met.

Half-exhale. Increase tension...

Sight picture...

Heartbeat...

Heartbeat...

BOOM!!!

The old Finnish rifle slammed into my shoulder as it's projectile rocketed downrange. The thunderous blast echoed back and forth from the surrounding hills. As the rifle settled back into firing position, the frozen silence began enveloping the lake once again. A quarter mile away, a single crow lay sprawled on the ice, twitching.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Scared him to death huh?

I've always heard the best part about a Mosin Nagant was that you could hit the broad side of a barn, two counties away!:D

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    It's the most versatile long rifle around.
    image_zps8946ea4b.jpg

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    My favorite mosin memory? Blowing through sun bleached cow skulls at 250 yards. And frying pans since the steel core stuff will blow through anything.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    What's not to like?

It's good for cutting down trees, or starting your average field afire if you use an M44 or variant.
    Ammo is about as inexpensive as any caliber you can ask for. Mil-surp stuff was everywhere, not so much now, but still available.
    It always turns heads at the range, especially if it's indoors.
    If you run out of ammo, you can use it as a club to beat more zombies to death than you can physically swing at.
    With a 91/30, a bayonet, and a long arm reach, you can engage your enemy from almost 8 FEET away!
    Finally, it has a very manly recoil, not for you interweb pussies out there.

killshot500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    marion
    i shot one the other week and it wasnt that bad of recoil but sounded bad ass i really liked it had scope bipod and new stock but the barrel was rusted and painted over and the bolt action was all rusted at one point and ground down so i didnt take it

Top Bottom