• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What about olive oil sold in tins, like the stuff from Europe sold at a Treasure Island or the like?

Good question Kirk. I don't have any first hand experience with that stuff, so I'll just say, "I don't know."

I know from experience that unopened Crisco will last 2 yrs (and opened about a yr.).

I've also had store bought Olive oil go rancid much quicker than I thought it would. The quality of the stuff one gets at the store seems to vary so much, and I'm not sure how to differentiate what's better for storage. :dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Good question Kirk. I don't have any first hand experience with that stuff, so I'll just say, "I don't know."

I know from experience that unopened Crisco will last 2 yrs (and opened about a yr.).

I've also had store bought Olive oil go rancid much quicker than I thought it would. The quality of the stuff one gets at the store seems to vary so much, and I'm not sure how to differentiate what's better for storage. :dunno:

I second the above poster's statements. Do not expect peanut butter or oil olive to be palatable long term (>1 year) unless retort packed or similarly processed. The rancid taste is simply overwhelming once it goes bad.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would think storing oils in the freezer may prolong its life...???....
    Margerine is one molecular bond away from being PLASTIC and apparently doesn't spoil. My brother (a chemical engineer for Lilly, Purdue grad) first told me about this....Chemical Engineering World: Butter and Margerine Interesting Facts

If the freezers on in SHTF, then it won't be too bad, but the point is taken. It's worth testing to see how nuts, peanut butter and oils do frozen long term (>1 year). How much different is vegetable shortening from margarine? Has anyone tested how vegetable Crisco holds up?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If the freezers on in SHTF, then it won't be too bad, but the point is taken. It's worth testing to see how nuts, peanut butter and oils do frozen long term (>1 year). How much different is vegetable shortening from margarine? Has anyone tested how vegetable Crisco holds up?
    For long term storage, the freezer will work, when the electricity goes out and the freezer stops with no chance of coming back on.....Well let's just say it'll be time to start using the stuff and the shelf life starts at that point....Vegetable shortening is a food product, margerine is more of a synthetic/blend of food/nonfood. I have 20lbs or so that has just been in the cabinet for 18 months and is still fine, I'll keep you posted if it ever goes bad.

Top Bottom