• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Group, as many of you know I am preparing to head overseas for a minimum of 5 years during which all my firearms will need to be stored. I've been able to acquire a temperature and humidity controlled storage facility but am still wondering what else I should do to the firearms prior to storing them for that amount of time.

What product(s) should I use on the firearms to ensure that they stay rust free and fully operational upon my return? Is something like BALLISTOL enough or should I look for Cosmoline?

Let me know.

PS. I know that everyone here would be willing to take care of them and although I appreciate the kind gesture, I'd hate for them to end up sinking on your boats.....

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Motor oil oughta keep em pretty nice till ya get back

Edit: I apologize for the lack of intelligence in that^^^. I was typing with one hand.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Soak in CLP Collector. It's thicker, stays in place and in my personal usage for long term storage in a wet, hot in summer, cold in winter storage locker, stays a-ok. Even in the horrible condition I had them in, my grandfather's Triple Lock didn't even try to rust, even after about 4 years of storage.

Motor oil is an excellent lube, but meh in the anti rust department. Grease could work, but avoid anything with high concentrations of moly in it as it can accept humidity in a heart beat. Slather them up on a warm, dry day, wrap them in a stabilized plastic thick bag, keep them open on one end and away from moisture, those guns will be good to go.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    EEZOX on the metal parts. an oxygen absorber in a vacuum bag. then vacuum seal a second time. It'll save you hours in cleanup time 5 yrs down the road. And you won't have to store the wood seperate from the metal.;)

Or for a more expensive but more durable method. EEZOX and oxygen absorber in a sealed ABS tube. PVC might work too. Vacuum bags are cheaper.

Personally, I'd sell everything that wasn't a family heirloom and replace 'em when I got back. Unpaid storage lockers get sold off every day. Bank deposit box for the heirlooms.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

:yesway: RIG grease to start with. Its thick, doesn't evaporate off and won't run off just in case your storage unit gets hot. After the grease wrap them in some vapor barrier paper then stick the whole mess in a impermeable bag. When you get back they'll be in as good condition as they were when you sealed the bag. Might be a little overboard, but a lot can happen in five years.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    would avoid motor oil, it hardens over time. would store them in an airtight box, with a few boxes of silica sand in it (can't be to careful).

would also have a TRUSTED individual look into the storage unit from time to time, as they do get broken into.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Make sure you use a disc padlock! That was on the news recently. Those are much harder to cut into. Good luck!

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I've used rig to on a couple rifles and pistols passed down to me through the family. They'll look like they were the day I got them when I pass them to my son.
    Make sure to coat the internals and bores. It's a pain to clean but holds up well over time.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    RIG is the best stuff that I have used, but I've heard they stopped making it, not sure if that's true? I've also heard wrapping them in anything can cause more harm than good?

Top Bottom