• ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    44bc5bc9a859a22a10fc628041755d3c

I'm thinking of getting one of these from Darkside Armory. I know the tax stamp is only $5 but what is the wait time for an AOW with a Trust?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you ever intend to use the safety, you don't want something like this built on the Mossberg action. It's not possible to manipulate the Mossberg safety while holding a pistol grip.

It may be a small thing to you, but it was enough that my AOW is built on the Remington 870 instead.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If you ever intend to use the safety, you don't want something like this built on the Mossberg action. It's not possible to manipulate the Mossberg safety while holding a pistol grip.

It may be a small thing to you, but it was enough that my AOW is built on the Remington 870 instead.

I'll have to see what Darkside has available. I'm not stuck on one or the other. Thanks for the heads up.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've had enough pistol grip Mossberg 500s & 590s to tell you that manipulating the safety isn't a problem. It's a training issue. If you can't handle that, install this.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa.../sst-590-safety-sku100003151-24530-50865.aspx

View attachment 43821

Thanks for the link. I have 2 500's with a pistil grip and one of them has this extended safety. Personally I don't use the safety. The "good to go" 500 sits in the front of the safe with a round 1/3 of the way into the chamber. Al I have to do is lift the gun by the slide and the round will finish chambering. I'll probably pick up another one of these for the other 500 so that is anyone else uses it they can easily activate the safety. As far as the AOW I doubt I would leave one in the pipe or the mag attached. But who knows?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    44bc5bc9a859a22a10fc628041755d3c

I'm thinking of getting one of these from Darkside Armory. I know the tax stamp is only $5 but what is the wait time for an AOW with a Trust?

Not trying to be a buzz-kill, but it looks like it would be REALLY awkward to cycle the gun with that drum in place...I'm not sure how problematic one of the long, curved stick mags would be, it could be better, but it could still be pretty awkward too. Just something to consider before taking the plunge.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Not trying to be a buzz-kill, but it looks like it would be REALLY awkward to cycle the gun with that drum in place...I'm not sure how problematic one of the long, curved stick mags would be, it could be better, but it could still be pretty awkward too. Just something to consider before taking the plunge.

Yeah I agree, looks ridiculous as F. I like a sbshotty, but I can see your hand getting crunched against that drum. I'd prefer actual magazines and not drums. Also looks like it would be heavy. Maybe the looks are deceiving.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

Yeah I agree, looks ridiculous as F. I like a sbshotty, but I can see your hand getting crunched against that drum. I'd prefer actual magazines and not drums. Also looks like it would be heavy. Maybe the looks are deceiving.

That's why I'm wanting to hold it before I buy one. I've held guns that I thought would be fantastic that were total crap in my hands. Inversely I've held ones that I thought would be crap that fit perfectly. It's all about the "feels"!
    Problem now is that I'm thinking about getting the new Ruger American pistol. What to do, what to do.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    It is very heavy, and awkward with the drum, but it made a better picture. The front grip rotates out of the way for the stick mags, or the drums, but i never use the drums. I will have it at Anderson, or if you are going to the Fort Wayne show this weekend, i will have it there.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That's why I'm wanting to hold it before I buy one. I've held guns that I thought would be fantastic that were total crap in my hands. Inversely I've held ones that I thought would be crap that fit perfectly. It's all about the "feels"!
    Problem now is that I'm thinking about getting the new Ruger American pistol. What to do, what to do.

Definitely get your hands on the pistol before buying. Shoot it if you can as well. I just watched the first look video Tim at Military Arms Channel did on it and the back end of the frame of that pistol really bothered all of the people he had shoot the gun. It didn't seem too impressive with all of the great polymer pistols that are on the market.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The more I read and watch about it the less I'm wanting to get it. I watched Tim's review and he brought up a lot of good points. Maybe once I hold it my mind will change but everything I'm seeing so far says to wait. Plus I just got a Walther PPQ and really really like it. My groupings were crap initially but after changing the backstrap and shooting for bulls not just to cycle it it's really impressing me. This frees up some money for the AOW. I love the $5 stamp but still hate the wait!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    No as I don't know anyone who has one. That's partly why I want to hold one and get other people's opinion on them.

Top Bottom