• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    Hello. I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, none of the advertising sections seemed to fit what I am looking for.

I am looking for someone who can work some pottery for me. On my last outing, I found a large source of good natural clay. I am looking for someone who has the knowlege, skills, and tools to make things for me. I will provide lots and lots and lots of the raw natural clay, and pay for the service on top of it (if it's reasonable), or work out some kind of trade deal. I just want a basic set of tableware. Bowls, mugs, plates perhaps. Just something that is unique, and 100% Indiana.

I tried working with it, and it was a lot of fun, but I do not have any of the skills required to know what I'm doing. Everything I made shattered too easy, and returned to clay when it got wet. Just long story short, I don't know what I'm doing with it, and I don't have the drive in me to learn. that being said, I would very much like to get this resource into the hands of someone who does know what they're doing, and see what they can create with it.

I live in Henry County, and I would be willing to travel to any of the surrounding counties for this project. Once again, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Oh geez... I kept going back and forth between his profile and your start date/time reference and it took me a little while to make the connection! Then I started looking to see if this was an old post from back on April 20th! :lmfao:
    Lol im surprised one of the resident stoners didn’t catch that. I’ve never smoked pot and I noticed it instantly

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hello. I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, none of the advertising sections seemed to fit what I am looking for.

I am looking for someone who can work some pottery for me. On my last outing, I found a large source of good natural clay. I am looking for someone who has the knowlege, skills, and tools to make things for me. I will provide lots and lots and lots of the raw natural clay, and pay for the service on top of it (if it's reasonable), or work out some kind of trade deal. I just want a basic set of tableware. Bowls, mugs, plates perhaps. Just something that is unique, and 100% Indiana.

I tried working with it, and it was a lot of fun, but I do not have any of the skills required to know what I'm doing. Everything I made shattered too easy, and returned to clay when it got wet. Just long story short, I don't know what I'm doing with it, and I don't have the drive in me to learn. that being said, I would very much like to get this resource into the hands of someone who does know what they're doing, and see what they can create with it.

I live in Henry County, and I would be willing to travel to any of the surrounding counties for this project. Once again, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
    You might give Strawtown Pottery a call, or e-mail. From a google search, all I could find was a facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/Strawtown-Pottery-Antiques-156931397680747/

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Not a potter, but have a bit of knowledge about it. My grandparents ran a small ceramics business.

The reason it's breaking and turning back into clay when it gets wet is because it needs to be fired in a kiln. When it's fired it changes the composition of the clay into a more glass like substance. Think taking wet sand and shaping a plate compared to a glass plate. While not exactly the same it's similar.

What you are making is called "green ware", which is shaped but unfired. After it's made it is usually fired twice at least for plates/cups/figurines/etc. First time to make bisque ware which changes it from clay into ceramic, second is after paint/glaze. Ceramic plant pots and such are usually only fired once unless glazed.

One problem with using "natural" clay is that different clay is fired at different temp/time, so it may take some trial to find out what is best for your specific clay.

If you can't find any local shops, you might try contacting the local schools art teachers they may be able to help you find someone.

Top Bottom