• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I hang out on the FAL Files website and have built a few which are pretty straightforward. The other day, a member on that site posted a Yugo RPK with a lot of character (trench art?). I bought it on a whim and it arrived yesterday. I've been reading up and watching videos on how to build an AK and its much more involved than an FAL.

I was wondering if there are any fellow Ingoers that would be willing to help me out. I'd like someone to look over the kit with me and see if the parts are all there less the receiver. Also help determine what receiver I need. Finally, someone that will help with the build. I can provide drinks, food and cash. I'd even throw in some AK ammo.

Thanx for looking

Craig

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I haven't built one in years. I know there are some guys on here that build because I've seen several of heir threads.
    Is your front trunnion the bulged type? If so you will the receiver for the bulged trunnions. Nodak spud used to make a good one and I assume they still do.
    You will need some jigs to do the rivets. The best advise I can give is don't cheap out and do a screw build. I saw a lot of nice kits built that way back in the day and they never retained their value.
    Feel free to PM me if you like, I'll try and answer any questions if I can.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I haven't built one in years. I know there are some guys on here that build because I've seen several of heir threads.
    Is your front trunnion the bulged type? If so you will the receiver for the bulged trunnions. Nodak spud used to make a good one and I assume they still do.
    You will need some jigs to do the rivets. The best advise I can give is don't cheap out and do a screw build. I saw a lot of nice kits built that way back in the day and they never retained their value.
    Feel free to PM me if you like, I'll try and answer any questions if I can.

Citizenkane - thanx for the reply. I really am a newbie and can't answer if its a bulged type of not. Below is a link to the ad that I purchased it from with pictures. I believe I need a Nodak Spud NDS-9? Not sure if all the other parts are there. Again, I love guns and love the camaraderie of working on them with people so if someone can help out it would be much appreciated.

Craig

Kits and New inch wood furniture set - The FAL Files

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    That's an awesome kit and would make a great gun. I really want to build an AMD65 but I also have no knowledge on how to build....

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    "Rocky" lol that kit is pretty sweet.
    It looks pretty complete to me. It is a bulged RPK type yugo trunnion.
    I will check out nodak's website and see which looks right.
    ETA yes the NDS 9 looks correct.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My last build is a Romanian RPK. They are no different than building any other AK, just need the right rivets.

Are the pieces demilled already? Thats something to do before building. My RPK was really stubborn.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    My last build is a Romanian RPK. They are no different than building any other AK, just need the right rivets.

Are the pieces demilled already? Thats something to do before building. My RPK was really stubborn.

The kit is in the shape/condition as shown in the thread I referenced. I don't know enough about AK builds to answer your question as to whether it is demilled yet. Does that mean taking off the old sections of receiver?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The barrel pin will have to be removed, the barrel pushed out of the trunnion and then the rivets removed. The rear trunnion will have to have the rivets ground off and the old shell removed. The rear rivets can be kinda tricky to remove.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I was on the Nodak Spud website and it states that they need the FFL on file before they will take an order. I haven't done a ton of transfers but the guy I've used is $45 which seems pretty steep - in this case thats almost half the cost of the receiver. Is there anyone in the Indy/Westside area that would be more economical? Thanx. Craig

Top Bottom