• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've used shoulder holsters more than a few times in the past, but have never particularly cared for them. However, I've been wearing a shoulder holster around home quite a bit lately, and out and about some. I'm not hating it like I used to. I fact, after my epidural last week I wouldn't have considered wearing a belt holster since it would have put pressure directly on the owie. I've actually taken a liking to it. It's down right handy at home, I can just slap the whole rig on if I've gotta go investigate a bump in the night and have gun, spare ammo, and light handy even if I'm nekkid, it's nice and handy in the mornings when I'm only wearing a robe.

The holster I'm using is a REALLY crappy UTG thing someone foisted on me as part of a trade. I say again, it's crappy. But it's enough to make me think a well fitting, well made shoulder holster would be the bees knees for part time use. It's certainly not going to be my full time means of carry, but if I can get a good one I see it getting a fair amount of use. Starting some research, and the ones below are some of the ones I'm looking at. I do know that I prefer horizontal carry, I've always been and still am ambivalent on the matter of tie downs, and want a double mag pouch on the offside, or a mag pouch/flashlight pouch combo.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of them, or other recommendations? Let's try to keep 'em under $150, $125 is better! No rush, it'll be a while before I can actually buy one. Right at the moment, I'm leaning toward either the DeSantis Bodyguard, and especially the Galco Classic Lite.

Don Hume H770-AA
    H770-AA [H770-AA] - $141.20 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Desantis Bodyguard. This one is a vertical carry, but seems to fit well with the utility that I like about a shoulder rig. Price is surely right.
    http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...PRINGFIELD/XD9-XD40-4/SHOULDER-RIGS/Bodyguard

DeSantis Patriot
    Patriot® Shoulder Rig — Desantis Gunhide

Galco Classic Lite. I'd have to buy the flashlight tie down for this, but I like that concept, too. Less chance of confusing the flashlight and the mag under pressure with the flashlight opposite the mag pouch. Not that anyone here has ever seen me try to load a flashlight into my gun during a match...

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

El Paso Spyder
    Spyder Shoulder System - Complete Rig

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've used shoulder holsters more than a few times in the past, but have never particularly cared for them. However, I've been wearing a shoulder holster around home quite a bit lately, and out and about some. I'm not hating it like I used to. I fact, after my epidural last week I wouldn't have considered wearing a belt holster since it would have put pressure directly on the owie. I've actually taken a liking to it. It's down right handy at home, I can just slap the whole rig on if I've gotta go investigate a bump in the night and have gun, spare ammo, and light handy even if I'm nekkid, it's nice and handy in the mornings when I'm only wearing a robe.

I can't be of any help but I'm asking for the sake of our eyes, no pics please.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I used to have a Miami Classic rig that I carried a G22 in. At the time I was wearing suits and/or sport coats quite a bit and I didn't know of a better way to carry concealed. At the time I liked the setup, but I can say now that I would never wear a shoulder rig again. I have several reasons why I don't care for them now, but that's not what you are looking for. The Miami Classic had some advantages such as being adjustable for butt-up or butt-forward carry, having removable mag carriers, having interchangeable "off-side" options other than spare mags. YMMV

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've owned a Miami Classic before. It was very comfy, one of the few I've really liked. But it's much pricier than I really want for an occasional use/casual around the house use holster. It is kind of why I'm looking at that Classic Lite, though. I'm wondering if it can match the comfort, or at least come close.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with the harness that fits your best and is the most comfy. The actual holster hanging from it won't make as much difference. The Galco and clones are usually pretty good in that regard.

Top Bottom