• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I saw a guy a while back that had a knife and sheath that was carried horizontally in his belt loops behind his back. It was about 7-9" OAL and just narrow enough for the sheath to fit inside his belt loops. I'd like to find one like this. I don't care for the weight of the larger folders in my pocket and most similar sized knife and sheath combos are either awkward or in my way hanging off my belt vertically. I believe horizontally behind my back would be less noticeable and more comfortable. Maybe a little tougher to reach for but I can live with that.
    Any ideas where to find one like this? I looked through the 1500 two weeks ago and the Stout Field show before that but no luck.

Thanks, Matt

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Most knives with a kydex sheath offer a way to horizontal carry via the holes in in sheath and paracord (see you tube). The narrowest knives that I know of are COLD STEEL neck knives, especially the TOKYO SPIKE SERIES 53 HS. I have one that I carry in just this fashion. I hope my reply will be of use to you.

Last edited:

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    You might also check out an ESEE 4 at knife works.com......But if you decide to buy, don't get it from anyone but INGO's own KNIFE LADY!!

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I often hear this referred to as "scout carry".

This is my understanding as well.

Are you looking for a complete system or just the knife too start.
    And what is your price range.

My busse active duty with taco sheath I made fits in the 2 inch belt loops on most my jeans. So does my busse Anniversary mean street. They are both about 8 in over all length with a 3.5 inch blade length and 1 inch blade height on both.

The esee 3 and 4 are 1.25 blade height. Which with 2 inch belt loops on most my jeans they wont fit with a taco sheath.

If the pants you wear have larger belt loops than 2inch, a blade height of 1.25 inch should be fine.

The busses's I listed are in the $230 range. No sheath. The swamp rat(bussekin) rodent solution is nearly the same but 1.1 inch height and $130 no sheath.
    Both esee's are in the $100-$120 with larger pancake sheath that definitely wont fit in belt loops. But I have esee 4 in my truck I always have as a back up. The cord lock and paracord that comes with the sheath can be done to do a scout carry. And that is how I have mine set up.

But you can go with becker knives that are cheaper, as well as many others. Or you can go more expensive. As well.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've got a KaBar 1256 which is the smaller combat knife. A usable sheath for it would be just fine. The leather sheath is came with won't fit through my belt loops.

Matt

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Then I would definitely suggest a kydex taco style sheath. Their are many ppl who make them. And it doesn't take much to make then at home either.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    I would recommend the "scout carry" style. I'm a knife maker myself and have carried fixed blades for years I prefer the horizontal carry. Keeps it outta your way, less in sight, has a better aesthetic appeal in public areas, and is still there when you need it. +1 for scout carry

Top Bottom