• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Today I attended the funeral of my neighbor Don Litzelman. He was a WWII veteran, a tank commander in the US Army that saw action in both Okinawa and the Philippines. He received the Bronze Star during his combat service.

It is sad to see the last of the WWII vets going, I have listened to many inspiring stories from these guys.

RIP Don, you earned it.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    RIP to a brother in Arms.

There are not too many WWII vets around still. I have the honor to know one and I love to hear his stories.:patriot:

ghostpoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My grandfather is a WWII vet, was under Patton, if I remember correctly and was a tank commander as well. I love to hear his stories, though sometimes he doesn't like to relive too much of it. Over the past few years his Alzheimer's has started to progress so we cherish the time. His mind so sharp from the past but new things just slip away.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    my friend Bob died 2yrs ago this week, he was a marine in pacific, he did'nt tell many stories, he did'nt have to, he's knew I've researched ww2 since I was a kid, he was a hell of a man, just sad that they are all dying, everyday between the indystar and the seymour paper, 3-4 everyday, the greatest generation, paid a heavy price, that makes losses from other wars pale in comparison, no offence to anyone who loss a friend of family member in any war action. I had a uncle killed in nam, and my father served two tours in Korea, I served with navy/marines, my son is currently serving in army as a major, hats of the mlitary, active, retired or vets:ingo:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for sharing TopDog. RIP to another of the greatest generation. I still have one of my uncles living that was in WW2 (Europe).

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I just want to say this: If you have never talked to a WWII vet do yourself a favor and ask around, find one and listen to his stories. They wont all be about combat. Listen to the mind set of the people that fought that war. I think you will it is very different than the general mind set of Americans today.

jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    when i was younger i was in sea cadets, its like a navy rotc group ran in about all 50 states. each year we would meet up with the vets from the USS Indianapolis. it was always had seeing the group get smaller and smaller each year. there arent many people left like those men.

Top Bottom