• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My dad was same way. He'd take the word off a begger man on the street, or the lady in red, before he'd take the word of his sons. Kind of funny, since I do have a college education, which doesn't make me a genius by any means, but much more education than Dad. Still my thoughts were not worth a plugged nickel.

That sounds about right. No matter how much I know about a subject, how much I've researched it, checked it, studied it, any "salesman" or "company X rep" must be an expert.

Same thing happened a few years back when they bought their big-screen TV. The mom and pop TV store guy told dad it was a 1080i resolution, and it was a 720p (I'd just bought a big plasma so I had been doing research for MONTHS). Told dad he got a raw deal and even showed him the manufacturers website and online manual, and reviews, and specs. He went back and confronted the salesman and came back with "well the salesman says the manufacturers website is wrong so you are too".

Same thing with him hating Glocks because "they were designed expressly to defeat metal detectors". I dislike Glocks for entirely different reasons, mainly because they don't feel comfortable to me, based on me actually HANDLING them.

It just irritates me that a sales rep would give out bad info, knowing there are people out there that will buy it hook, line, and sinker, especially from a well-regarded company like Buck. And being at the NRA Annual Meetings, I'd expect them to step up their game and have their best people at the plate. If it was some fly-by-night hack company, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Do you think that your Dad said he didn't believe you because you basically called him an idiot, and put down a knife that he was obviously very happy with. Happy enough to show it off to you. You should have just told him how wonderful and nice it was and left it at that. My guess he was just trying to bond a little with you, and felt as if you told him he wasted his money and called him stupid without actually saying it. :dunno:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I see you have never done business in the powersports industry.

You are correct, but we are talking about the knife industry, not the power sports industry. I have been going to knife shows for over thirty years, all over the country, and my experience is that the people that represent the companies are actual employees and are very knowledgeable about their products. It might be different in other industry trade shows. :dunno:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You are correct, but we are talking about the knife industry, not the power sports industry. I have been going to knife shows for over thirty years, all over the country, and my experience is that the people that represent the companies are actual employees and are very knowledgeable about their products. It might be different in other industry trade shows. :dunno:

Sorry bad joke I guess. My bad.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Do you think that your Dad said he didn't believe you because you basically called him an idiot, and put down a knife that he was obviously very happy with. Happy enough to show it off to you. You should have just told him how wonderful and nice it was and left it at that. My guess he was just trying to bond a little with you, and felt as if you told him he wasted his money and called him stupid without actually saying it. :dunno:

I agree with Slider. It sounds to me that the OP feels that it is his job to point out that all the deals his Dad makes are wrong. First the TV and now the knife. The OP should just enjoy the moments with his Dad while he still has him around. Mine has gone home to be with The Lord and I miss him so.

I'm sure the OP's Dad will enjoy whittling wood and watching his TV just as it is and hope the OP can just be a son and not a critic.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    When it's all said and done, your dad really liked the knife and he bought it. All you had to do was agree with him and appreciate the fact you enjoy similar things, (knives, guns, cars, etc.) and be done with it. I wish my dad was still alive for me to share time and conversation with!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I never criticized the knife, just made an offhand comment about it. "good-looking lockback with a flipper", or pretty close to those words. That's when he corrected ME and informed me it was an assisted opening.

So I guess the moral of the story is let him go on with false information, and repeat said false information. Got it.

I suppose we should all do the same with all the gun and gun law myths out there? Check.

Top Bottom