• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was shooting my sparrow last week and I noticed it got MUCH louder as I shot. It was still fine to my ears but louder for sure.

Now this week I picked up a .22 rifle and it is alot louder than I thought it would be. So I shot the rifle twice and then twice on the pistol. On the rifle it sounded like a pistol should and the pistol made my ears ring. This has never made my ears ring.

I've taken it apart and cleaned it. O-Rings are intact and no baffle strikes can be seen. So WTH is going on?

The rifle is the Savage 64 TRR-SR and the pistol is a .22 Sig upper on my X-5 lower.

@Matt-What did you think when you shot it Sat. morning? That was the second time I thought it was loud but I dismissed it.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I was shooting my sparrow last week and I noticed it got MUCH louder as I shot. It was still fine to my ears but louder for sure.

Now this week I picked up a .22 rifle and it is alot louder than I thought it would be. So I shot the rifle twice and then twice on the pistol. On the rifle it sounded like a pistol should and the pistol made my ears ring. This has never made my ears ring.

I've taken it apart and cleaned it. O-Rings are intact and no baffle strikes can be seen. So WTH is going on?

The rifle is the Savage 64 TRR-SR and the pistol is a .22 Sig upper on my X-5 lower.

@Matt-What did you think when you shot it Sat. morning? That was the second time I thought it was loud but I dismissed it.

Subsonic ammo? Same ammo? Same atmospheric conditions?

Ammo that is subsonic one day can easily be supersonic the next due to humidity/temp etc. However it shouldnt be going supersonic in a pistol and not in a rifle.

Could action noice be part of it by any chance? When we meter cans we take measurements at the ear, the muzzle and the one meter mark to take into consideration action noise.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hmm. Well it is the same ammo. I've never had my ears ring/pop from the .22 pistol. It has always been quiet enough to be comfortable. The .22 rifle is new but I am disappointed that it isn't quieter. It makes sense if the round is moving faster through the longer barrel.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Dude bring it by and we will shoot it side by side my sparrow. I thought your rifle sounded great here, two CCI subs and two Rem Golden bullets (super sonic) is what I shot through it...maybe we need to work that sucker out! ;)

I do think the Savage is threaded a tad longer than .40" long, but it sounded good to me. Although the years in the army and years in the mill seem to make them all sound good! :)

Top Bottom