• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    I have always liked my ultra sonic cleaner BUT after finally stripping my AR after 400+ rounds and a year with only lube no cleaning.... I LOVE my ultra sonic cleaner!!! (I know, I know, but the AR ran fine for the last year plus. I just finally got around to cleaning it)

That bolt carrier group was NASTY! But 25 minutes in the cleaner with mineral spirits and it looks like new!!! What a time saver.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    My bad! I will get that posted tonight. It is a 3 quart with a heater. Paid just under $200 for it.

I do recommend the heater. I doubt 20 degree mineral spirits clean nearly as well as 65C (never been much on conversion but thats HOT).

Ill get the dimensions too. Its big enough to get a BCG or 5" slide fully submersed. I can get the 5" Ruger Mk2 barrel / receiver in it diagonally.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    NEW PRO 2.75L DIGITAL HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER DENTAL - eBay (item 380220187064 end time Jan-24-11 07:40:05 PST)

It is a "Pro 2.75 Liter Digital Heated Ultrasonic cleaner". 120 Watt cleaner, 300 Watt heater. It will heat up the cleaning solution very quickly.

Tank Size: 9.38" (L) x 5.38" (W) x 3.94" (H).

Here is the tricky part about "tank size" that I learned through all this. There is a wire basket that you put the stuff in that knocks about .75" off each direction. AND I have always been leary of putting finished parts directly on the wire basket. So I have a glass pan that just fits inside the wire basket. It may all be overkill but as I understand it the cleaner needs some space around whats being cleaned. So thats what I do.

I fill the glass pan with low odor mineral spirits. I fill the tank with water. That keeps things nice and clean and the glass pan has a snap on lid to keep the "low odor" contained.

Works great! Closest thing to a self cleaning gun I have found. I typically bore snake and lube between matches and use the ultra sonic for a complete decrudding when needed. Only had it since September so I cannot speak for long term durability but I have cleaned everything I own in it once now. Does a good job on knives too!

Wish I had bought one years ago.

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I use some really nice ultra sonics at work for some sensitive medical and military parts and they are awesome! I had some safety glasses that had an anti fog layer that was chipping so instead of throwing them away I put them in the ultra sonic and the anti fog layer fell right off. It was weird. I also ran all my M1 Garand parts through the cleaner and it did an amazing job!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    One word of caution..be sure that any cleaning solution you use will not ignite if it gets too hot. Fluid in an ultrasonic cleaner does heat up as it is being cycled.

They are awesome machines! I have a Branson Ultrasonics unit with heater and I can take something that looks very clean and put it in and watch the junk come rolling out.

Top Bottom