• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass in an F-14. He has the most flight hours in Tomcats.
    This is not a fake picture.
    ejzloy.jpg

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Thanks for the link. But it gave me the heebie cheebies cause it reminded me of the first female pilot to be killed in a training mission. She was flying an A-10 at night over an Arizona desert traning area when she inadvertently became inverted (was flying upside down) and in this "loss of situational awareness" apparently pulled back on the stick to gain altitude, crashing into the desert floor. I don't know why this has stuck with me all these years, but it did. The A-10 is an awesome plane, designed to be flown very low - and can rip a tank to shreds with it's 7 barrel 30 mm gatling gun.

In Memory:
    Capt. Amy Lynn Svoboda (1968-1997)

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    very cool photos, if you go on youtube and watch some of the vids of worst commercial runways to land on, its a lot of fun too.

edit; i dont remember how to link so just search for worlds most dangerous runways

Last edited:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    You can try contacting him (info obtained from website)
    Snodgrass, Dale | Classic Jet Aircraft Association

Snodgrass, Dale

image3006004g.jpg

City, State:
    St. Augustine, FL

Email Address: captsnort@gmail.com

Phone: (904) 806-4898

Airshow Type: Aerobatic

Airshow Home Base: St Augustine, FL

Airshow Aircraft:
    Aero Vodochody L-39 Albatros
    Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star
    Mikoyan MiG-17
    Morane-Saulnier MS.760 Paris
    North American F-86 Sabre / FJ-4 Fury

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I'm not interested in a whizzing-match and I have no intention of emailing anyone to test the validity of a picture posted on the internet.

If you believe a jet aircraft can fly 90 degrees to the surface of the ocean at an altitude lower than the carrier deck, so be it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Even if his wing is lower than the carriers flightdect, it is still at least 40 -50 feet above the surface of the water.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not interested in a whizzing-match and I have no intention of emailing anyone to test the validity of a picture posted on the internet.

If you believe a jet aircraft can fly 90 degrees to the surface of the ocean at an altitude lower than the carrier deck, so be it.

Can't believe your eyes? It happened.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    My last post on the subject.

John Sponauer - Q&A: Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass (USN, Ret.)

F-14FlyBy_small.jpg

"The Shot," USS America, 1989
    Photo used courtesy of Dale Snodgrass

That shot off of the America is very widely used….most people seem to initially think it is either an edited photo, or a risky maneuver. What was it?

It's not risky at all with practice…it was my opening pass to a Tomcat tactical demonstration at sea. I started from the starboard rear quarter of the ship, at or slightly below flight deck level. Airspeed was at about 250 knots with the wings swept forward. I selected afterburner at about 1/2 mile behind and the aircraft accelerated to about 325-330 knots. As I approached the ship, I rolled into an 85 degree angle of bank and did a 2-3 g turn, finishing about 10- 20 degrees off of the ship's axis. It was a very dramatic and, in my opinion, a very cool way to start a carrier demo. The photo was taken by an Aviation Boson's Mate who worked the flight deck on the USS America. Just as an aside...the individual with his arms behind his back is Admiral Jay Johnson, the immediate past Chief of Naval Operations for the Navy.

Top Bottom