• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I can spend all day at a range shooting well at targets 3 to 6 feet from the ground. Waist to face... But when I'm at the conservation club trying to shoot my portable paper target, that is roughly 2.5 feet to bullseye, I can't get on. Any advice? I can lift up and hit just fine center mass on silhouettes. Do I need to adjust my sight picture?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can spend all day at a range shooting well at targets 3 to 6 feet from the ground. Waist to face... But when I'm at the conservation club trying to shoot my portable paper target, that is roughly 2.5 feet to bullseye, I can't get on. Any advice? I can lift up and hit just fine center mass on silhouettes. Do I need to adjust my sight picture?

Are you missing low? If so, it's possible you're looking over the gun at the target trying to see where your hits will be at the same time the bullet is leaving the barrel, which causes the muzzle to dip and make the hit low.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Look at the target, bring the gun to the eye and align the sights, pull focus back to the front sight, press the trigger. It is just shooting. Don't be aiming the shot thinking I suck at low shots. Focus on the mechanics and nothing else. Results will take care of themselves if you do the essentials correctly.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks Coach, I will try to focus on the shot.

rhino- I tend to miss high and left, I think im pulling. Like with golf tho I can know what im doing wrong all day, learning how to correct the issue is a whole other beast.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks Coach, I will try to focus on the shot.

rhino- I tend to miss high and left, I think im pulling. Like with golf tho I can know what im doing wrong all day, learning how to correct the issue is a whole other beast.

Okay . . .

To add what Coach said, if you're missing at that distance, the bottom line is that the gun is not pointed where you want it to be when the bullet leaves the barrel. That means that no matter what else you do, while you're pressing the trigger you have to maintain the gun's alignment with your target. It's simple, but not necessarily easy.

Now the big question is "why" is the gun moving while you're breaking the shot.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Missing high makes me wonder about 2 things. Sight alignment and pushing on the gun. Can you confirm that the sights are properly aligned? If so then you are pushing with the heel of your hands at exactly the wrong time. The left part means the trigger is not coming straight back. I assume that you are a right hander. (I know the dangers of an assumption)

The trigger finger deeper on the trigger might be in order.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Sights seem to be right on when shooting center mass targets. My problem with the knee height I believe it's form. I'll get to the range on Sunday and try to pay more attention to what I'm doing different from shooting straight ahead to shooting at a downward slope. I am a righty

Top Bottom