• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I screwed up on Gunbroker. I bid on a rifle with the same model name, thinking it was 7.62, but it was actually 5.56. Does anyone know if I can lower my max bid on Gunbroker? I know I can't lower from where I'm already at, but I wonder if I can lower my max. I can't seem to find the info on the Gunbroker site.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You're at the mercy of the seller at this point. The seller has the option of cancelling the transaction after you win or blocking your bid before the auction ends.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The seller agreed to work with me, though he's irritated about it. Can't blame him. He asked that I pay his fees, apparently he's got to pay for a finished auction. Any idea what that would be?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The fees are based on the type of auction listed, and the final selling price.
    Most of my sales, which have been very few, have been in the neighborhood of $3-$4.
    If you are talking about a couple thousand you may be looking at $10 or $15.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I never quite see the purpose of a post like this, but okay - I did ask him, and haven't heard back. Thought I would prevail on the knowledge around here. Did you mean to be snarky?

It is my belief he was trying to help and you are already upset over bidding on something that wasn't what you wanted so it made you read something into his comment that wasn't there....

For the record I am not trying to be snarky but am only trying to explain what (possibly)went down.....Being snarky takes thought and effort and you really need to head to the Politcal Forum to see true snarkiness in action.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I believe if he blocks your bid and allows the auction to continue there are no fees. Can someone confirm?

I went through this a while back (I was the seller). I wasn't so nice, not because I was trying to be a jerk, but the guy found the same thing cheaper than his max-bid and was having a bit of remorse. I told him there was no way for me to reduce his max bid without completely blocking him. He won the auction for the same price as the other, buy-it-now was set at so it was a moot point.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A few months ago I placed a bid on a gun, and then I forgot about it and bid on another one. Unfortunately, I won both auctions. I contacted one of the sellers and explained the situation. I asked if it was possible to cancel the auction if I would pay them something for their trouble and fees. They said that $30 would make it go away, so I gladly sent them a check.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I told the guy that I would honor my bid, because word is bond. I threw myself on the mercy of his court. One of the fine, fine things I've experienced about gun folks is their basic honesty and humanity. This guy made it clear to me that I have very much irritated him, which is perfectly understandable, and he doesn't know this, but I'm going to add a substantial irritation premium to his fees. Basically, gun folks are good folks in a way that those who criticize us can never understand.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Good man Dross, that's exactly how I would have handled it also, a little extra for his troubles.

Hey, we all make mistakes which I personally done not to long ago and bid on a rifle without understanding the fine print. I ended up winning it and as it turns out I really like the rifle so no disappointments there.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I had a guy SEVERAL years ago bid on a Remington 700P rifle I was selling. He then contacted me and told me "his kid did it." My only two options as the seller at that point would be to make him pay my fees or report him as a non-paying buyer. He opted for the latter. Gunbroker refunded my fees.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    What tickles me about this whole thread is that bidding is a two step process. First you enter tour bid and hit "Review bid" and after that you hit "submit bid". If you can press the button TWICE you should be obligated to pay for it!

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    What tickles me about this whole thread is that bidding is a two step process. First you enter tour bid and hit "Review bid" and after that you hit "submit bid". If you can press the button TWICE you should be obligated to pay for it!
    What tickles me about INGO is how many members are infallible and love to make snarky comments to those of us who aren't. The guy said he screwed up and that he told the seller he would honor the bid if he had to.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

If I may, I've admitted that I f'd up. You would like to make the point that I f'd up royally and completely and without excuse. I humbly plead guilty to those charges. I am and always was willing to plead guilty to a case of dumbass and pay for a rifle I don't want.

Are you really the kind of guy that would criticize me for asking the seller for mercy while at the same time expressing my willingness to be held to the letter of the agreement? If so, I bow to your superior righteousness.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here's the cool thing!!! Somebody outbid me! Which is wicked cool, considering that my bid was ridiculufied. I made him money, and I don't have to be held to my bid. I've requested his address to send him a thank you gift certificate, even though I'm quite sure that without my nutty bid, he'd have sold the rifle for three hundred less or so. But, he was willing to work with me when it appeared I'd screwed up his auction, so a good deed deserves another. Win and win. I couldn't be happier to have 2K off my mind.

Top Bottom