LTCH Question...think I already know the answer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I moved to TX in August of this year. I have an Indiana Lifetime LTCH. Texas requires that you live there for 6 months before you can apply for a Concealed Handgun License. Does my Indiana license hold any validity still?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You may have a little time before you get a Texas driver's license that you're not "technically" a Texas resident. Of course, that's a limited time period (probably only 2 months), and your 6 month wait may not be able to start until after you've gotten your TX license (to prove residency).

Texas honors Indiana LTCH and non-resident licenses/permits, so theoretically you should be OK. I don't know of anything about moving out of Indiana that invalidates your LTCH. (I'm not saying it doesn't; I'm just saying I don't know anything about it.)

Here's my source for info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Indiana Code (law) applicable to your situation:

IC 35-47-2-3
    (i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter:
    (1) changes the person's name;
    (2) changes the person's address; or
    (3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction, that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from holding a license;
    the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60) days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or (2), the person's new name or new address.

Also, the only provision I have found for residents of a state other than Indiana says:

Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

I believe the only way to have a valid Indiana LTCH when not a resident of Indiana is if you have a "regular place of business or employment in Indiana."

So, you had 60 days from August of this year in which to notify ISP of your change of address, and, unless you have a "regular place of business or employment in Indiana," it appears your LTCH is no longer valid and will not be re-issued.

For specific, authoritative information, contact:
    Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302
    100 N. Senate Avenue--IGCN
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

Last edited:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    This is a great example of why its a good idea to have a non-resident license from somewhere (like Utah). It really makes stuff like this easier.

It still might be a good idea to get a Utah permit since you will get it before your 6 months is up, thus shortening the time you must go unarmed. In fact, I don't think TX law requires you ever get a TX license. I think you could just stay on the Utah license (which is cheaper and less hassle to get). However I would definitely verify that rather than take my word for it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

IC 35-47-2-3
    (i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter:
    (3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction, that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from holding a license;
    the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60) days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or (2), the person's new name or new address.

Also, the only provision I have found for residents of a state other than Indiana says:

(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

I believe the only way to have a valid Indiana LTCH when not a resident of Indiana is if you have a "regular place of business or employment in Indiana."

So, you had 60 days from August of this year in which to notify ISP of your change of address, and, unless you have a "regular place of business or employment in Indiana," it appears your LTCH is no longer valid and will not be re-issued.

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263[/FONT]
    MW2498

All of this relates to application. They won't give him a new one once he has moved to Texas. Nothing in the law says that a current lifetime LTCH is invalidated by moving out of the state.

As long as he notifies the state police that he moved, that should be the end.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

IC 35-47-2-3

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police
    Records Division, Rm 302
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

Note this does not indicate the license is invalid, or even void. You simply need to notify them you have moved. I am not aware of anything else... That's all I know.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have had a number of conversatons with Lt. Berkey on this subject and others relating to handgun laws and handgun carry in Indiana.

A resident of a state other than Indiana may only have a valid Indiana LTCH if, as the law states, he "has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana."

The OP is a resident of Texas, which, the last I knew, is not Indiana.

Believe whatever you wish, but, if my take is unacceptable, again, I refer you to the man in Indiana who is in charge of such things:

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police

Records Division, Rm 302
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I moved to TX in August of this year. I have an Indiana Lifetime LTCH. Texas requires that you live there for 6 months before you can apply for a Concealed Handgun License. Does my Indiana license hold any validity still?

Depends are you in the Military?!

Your best bet is to contact the appropriate Texas Agency. Do not forget to inform the ISP that you are wanting to place your LTCH in dormant status and inform them of your address changes...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have had a number of conversatons with Lt. Berkey on this subject and others relating to handgun laws and handgun carry in Indiana.

A resident of a state other than Indiana may only have a valid Indiana LTCH if, as the law states, he "has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana."

The OP is a resident of Texas, which, the last I knew, is not Indiana.

Believe whatever you wish, but, if my take is unacceptable, again, I refer you to the man in Indiana who is in charge of such things:

Lt. Jerry A. Berkey
    Indiana State Police

Records Division, Rm 302
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8263
    MW2498

That argument depends on whether that part of th code is specifying eligibility requirements to obtain a license or eligibility requirements to hold a license. If it is requirements to GET a license then your (and Berkey's) statement is false, however if it is saying who is eligible to HAVE a license, then you would be correct. You would no longer be eligible to have a license and thus your license would be void.

If I am feeling less lazy later today I will go find that exact part of the code to see which it is talking about.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I was curious to find out if the license would be valid for carry but I have gotten mixed answers from several local police agencies and the TX Department of Public Safety. I don't want to carry and risk getting arrested and lose the ability to get my CHL here in TX. The woman I spoke to at the DPS said that she thought it would be ok, but when I asked if they would send me a letter or document that would outline this, she of course said they couldn't.

I can see it now. Officer - "Why are you carrying your handgun without a TX CHL?" Me - "This lady at the DPS told me I could!"

The one positive thing about TX is you can keep a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's concealed without having your CHL.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was curious to find out if the license would be valid for carry but I have gotten mixed answers from several local police agencies and the TX Department of Public Safety. I don't want to carry and risk getting arrested and lose the ability to get my CHL here in TX. The woman I spoke to at the DPS said that she thought it would be ok, but when I asked if they would send me a letter or document that would outline this, she of course said they couldn't.

I can see it now. Officer - "Why are you carrying your handgun without a TX CHL?" Me - "This lady at the DPS told me I could!"

The one positive thing about TX is you can keep a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's concealed without having your CHL.

Need a couple things answered.

Are you done there as a Civilian or are you in the Military?!
    Changes the answers considerably.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am 100% civilian.

Sorry about your luck then... ;)

As soon as you gain your Texas Citizenship you lose the LTCH...

Do make sure that you send a letter to the ISP in charge of the LTCH informing them of your change in address and have them suspend your LTCH until the time that you return to the State of Indiana...

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Sorry about your luck then... ;)

As soon as you gain your Texas Citizenship you lose the LTCH...

Do make sure that you send a letter to the ISP in charge of the LTCH informing them of your change in address and have them suspend your LTCH until the time that you return to the State of Indiana...

Can you show in the code where is fact?

I am not doubting you or questioning you at all, I would just like the reference.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Can you show in the code where is fact?

I am not doubting you or questioning you at all, I would just like the reference.

I dealt with several Lawyers and the ISP to come to that conclusion for when I might have to go to Texas...

I will have to dig around and see if I can still find the answers...

Top Bottom