• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I apologize if this is posted somewhere, but I remember reading that Indiana had changed its laws about handgun transportation? This would allow moving an unloaded firearm to and from the range? I have been attempting to use the search feature to find someone mentioning the specific law, but cannot find it. I see instances of someone saying it is now legal, but no proof.

Essentially speaking I want to know if it is legal for me (a non ltch holder) to take my handguns to wilbur wright :dunno: If not I need to get moving on my permit.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    You should get moving on your permit anyway! :rockwoot:

But yes, it is now legal to transport your firearm to and from the range. Just make sure it's in a locked box in the trunk and all that good stuff. I don't have the relevant ICs here but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who will.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    It's in the INGO FAQ.

The relevant Indiana Code is IC 35-47-2-1 (b)(3) and (b)(5)(A)

thank you for pointing it out. Sadly the faq doesn't come up in the search but that may have to do with it being sorted by date.

If that is the case I may make a trip out to Wilbur Wright tomorrow. I have been itching to try my new toys (auto revolver and delta elite).

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    We still dont know what that "secured wrapper" is though.

I will just keep them in their boxes in the storage compartment near the hatch of my car. Honestly speaking I am more concerned about getting a ticket from a DNR officer than getting pulled over by a cop.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You should lock the box if you can, maybe also a cable lock through the action of the gun.
    It would be stupid to get busted for that.
    Then when you get your LTCH you wont have to worry about that.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You should lock the box if you can, maybe also a cable lock through the action of the gun.
    It would be stupid to get busted for that.
    Then when you get your LTCH you wont have to worry about that.

The cable lock is a great idea. I was confused about the details of getting my gun to the range. I was just stupid about not expediting my ltch. It'll get here eventually.

Top Bottom