• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    While I love having a LTCH and really like being able to carry a firearm in alot of states, it does grate on me that I have to have "permission" from the state to do something that God and the constitution grants me the right to do. I used to live in Kentucky, in that state you can carry a handgun in the glove compartment of your car without a CCW, or LTCH, you can go shoot without fear, at a range of your choice without having a "permit". I really wish I didn't need the "states" permission to legally do that which is a God given right....self protection. As to open carry, I shouldn't have to have pernission for that! Many states allow OC for legal residents, yet Indiana requires you to fullfil the same background check to OC as you do to carry concealed....why?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Because that's how the Uniform Pistol Act was drafted and Indiana copied it.

Many Southern states consider your car an extension of your home and thus allow unregulated carry there. We do not.

Get the license and you'll be just fine.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Because that's how the Uniform Pistol Act was drafted and Indiana copied it.

Many Southern states consider your car an extension of your home and thus allow unregulated carry there. We do not.

Get the license and you'll be just fine.
    Don't get me wrong I like being able to carry and do so every day, but sometimes I think they go overboard, btw what is the Uniform Pistol Act?

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I was surprised at this as well.

Liberal WA state actually has IN beat on this. You dont have to have a license to take your guns and go shooting. As long as they are unloaded and out of reach you can transport them all you want. They do also have concealed weapon permits, but average shooters dont have them because you just dont need it to go to the range.

Dont get me wrong here, WA sucks...I just think this needing a license to go shooting in IN is stupid.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Why, indeed.

Heard from supposedly pro 2nd gun owners in a sneering, self-righteous nanny voice while glaring suspiciously:

"What're ya, a felon?!" (continuing in a style reminiscent of Chris Matthews)
    "What're ya, trying trying to make it easier for felons and the mentally ill to get guns?!"
    "What're ya, trying to endanger the lives of our police officers?!"
    "This is a matter of public safety!"
    "It's called prevention. Small burden on everyone."
    "What's so hard about ...?"
    "What've you got to hide?"
    "The courts have repeatedly ruled!"
    "Modern scholars say that [licensing of your right to bear arms is what the founders wanted]."
    "I'm as strong a 2nd Amendment supporter as the next guy, but..."
    "I'd like constitutional (permitless) carry as much as the next guy, but..."
    "Look, man. We can't just have anarchy."
    "You're scaring me!"

and on...and on...and on.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    btw what is the Uniform Pistol Act?

To understand where we are, we need to understand where we have been.

In order to "fight" the crime that Prohibition caused, a model statute (like the Model Penal Code) involving regulation of handguns was passed out around the country by the National Conference on Commissioners of Uniform State Laws in 1926. Many states adopted parts of it. Indiana adopted parts of it involving retail sales and carrying (the license to carry and license to sell).

If you look up the Indiana carry statute, you will see that it's legislative name is the Uniform Firearms Act of 1935.

For general history of firearms regulation:

http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/marshall_final.pdf

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

THE UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT

If you have any other historical questions, just let me know.:)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Liberal WA state actually has IN beat on this. You dont have to have a license to take your guns and go shooting. As long as they are unloaded and out of reach you can transport them all you want.

Yes, but many states do not make it as easy as Indiana does to receive an handgun license. Further, there is case law that holds that such practice is legal under Indiana law. However, I still tell anyone who asks to get the license that way you will never have a problem.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks, Kirk.

Thanks for more useful info on history and background. Someone had asked how long Indiana's LTCH law had been in effect, and I told them AFAIK since 1935.
    Another question, if you don't mind.
    What was the overall political make-up of the Indiana House and Senate at the time of passage, and who was the governor who signed it?

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Thanks guys!, that is what I love about INGO the Info I need is only a question away! I realize that Indiana's permit system ( I know it's a licsense, liscense....permit!) is by far the easiest to get, I just wish it were recognized in more states, and I really cannot complain about the cost!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    At least the ridiculous handgun restrictions in Indiana are easily remedied by paying for your permission slip.

That's all I have to say about that.

Top Bottom