• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This never happens to me!

Buddy at work went to a garage sale and sees a $15 dollar knot of old cheap necklaces at an estate sale. He offers ten bucks and the lady says yes and he thinks there might be $100 in gold in the pile

Starts pulling the hairball of jewelry apart at home on the kitchen table and inside the mess is a charm bracelet with 6 - 1/10 oz gold pieces from the 1890's.

I've had some deals, but never that good of a return on $10.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I bought a 1965 Fender Mustang AND 1969 Fender Princeton reverb amp at a yard sale for $125.00. That's the best yard sale finds I've ever made. That's roughly $1200 to $1600 worth of stuff.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Wow thats a heck of a find. I like doing the garage sale thing when I have a little extra money. The GF likes going so I have to tag along:D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    They are only good deals if you have the money!! I never get buys like that!!! Tommy my son-in-law would be drooling!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We run across great deals at yard sales a couple of times a year and have cashed in accordingly. The GF's boss can't understand why anybody would consder buying other peoples used "junk"! We laugh all the way to the bank sometimes!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "The one that got away" for me was a Regency TR1 radio (first manufactured transistor radio) in the green (rarest) case that I blew off for $3. Somebody please kick me, I can't kick myself hard enough.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I hate shopping. I hate it more when I have to sift through real junk (really, who wants to buy your Beta videos?) to find anything worth saving from the dump. Consequently, I always miss out.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    This never happens to me!

Buddy at work went to a garage sale and sees a $15 dollar knot of old cheap necklaces at an estate sale. He offers ten bucks and the lady says yes and he thinks there might be $100 in gold in the pile

Starts pulling the hairball of jewelry apart at home on the kitchen table and inside the mess is a charm bracelet with 6 - 1/10 oz gold pieces from the 1890's.

I've had some deals, but never that good of a return on $10.

Great find.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i like garage sales more than i used to; couldn't stand when my mom would drag me to them. never had any find to write home about, but i did pick up a 1944 naval k-bar for $7 a couple years ago.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I hate shopping. I hate it more when I have to sift through real junk (really, who wants to buy your Beta videos?) to find anything worth saving from the dump. Consequently, I always miss out.

See I hate shopping too, but sifting through worthless crap to find the "gold" always puts me more in mind of a treasure hunt which is why I like it. Nothing better than upping your investment multiple times at the cost of one afternoon looking through old jewelry or what have you.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I went to a yardsale as a kid and saw two of these Antique Mechanical and Still Banks - Uncle Sam Bank marked as a $0.50.

My mom bought them for me and my brother and then about a year ago I saw one on an episode of Pawnstars in which they purchased one off a guy for around $800. I later wondered if they were still at my dads house so I went on a mission to find them and I actually did. Then sold both of them for $1900. That is the best investment I have currently seen.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I cant remember the last time I went, but I quit going because it seemed like all there ever was, was broken value city furniture (usually faux walnut entertainment centers:D) and baby clothes... maybe I should try again.:dunno:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I cant remember the last time I went, but I quit going because it seemed like all there ever was, was broken value city furniture (usually faux walnut entertainment centers:D) and baby clothes... maybe I should try again.:dunno:
    Sometimes you can hunt for days and find nothing spectacular and then one day you will eventually strike pay-dirt.

My mom goes with her sisters nearly every weekend in the summer. She is always bringing home deals here and there, but if you get discouraged after you hit the first few sales then you may as well just stay home. They hit MANY sales all in the same day.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm not big on yard sales, it always seems awkward to me. People put their stuff out on the lawn, then strangers come poke through it, turn their noses up at it, and drive off. "You're junk sucks and you have terrible taste, bye." Or, they find something they want and pretend like they could take it or leave it to see if the person will knock a buck off the price. It just seems strange to me.

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    Mabe its just me but every garage sale I have never seen anything worth while ,Perhaps with all the Pawn Stars and Ameican Pickers show , folks are taking a closer look at what they are selling

Top Bottom