• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a chance to shoot one of the new all metal M&P's and to be honest I really liked it, I notice that the polymer and metal samples are almost the same weight. please help me understand what is actually the difference and specially in the recoil characteristics?

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    IMHO Smith missed the boat here from a performance standpoint. Probably not from a selling standpoint which is all they really care about though. Most companies lately that have went to metal frame guns did it to increase weight for better recoil control and shootability. When you do like Smith did and just make it an alloy that is of equal weight to its polymer gun I am really not sure what you gain? That being said, I do like them and I am sure they will sell a ton.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Had an M&P 2.0 Metal and got rid of it. I found it to have sharper recoil than the polymer frame model. Also, it's not really a full metal frame. There is quite a bit of polymer in the grip portion. I'd take a look at a true metal frame M&P, something like the Sig P320 AXG module that is actually all aluminum with swappable grip panels. No longer interested in the half-baked M&P Metal, though. Kinda pains me to say that, as I own several M&Ps and really like them. I just like my actual metal AXG P320s better for a real metal frame feel.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    The metal frame is a little bit narrower than the polymer at the top of the grip. To me it gives it more of a palm swell feeling, like Browning puts on some of their shotgun stocks, not exactly but it's an ergonomic thing that everyone will perceive differently. But yes they could have added a touch more weight.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Having the same weight, one would think the metal frame is stiffer though I can't fathom the benefit when the M&P line works pretty darn well in polymer. That stiffness might increase felt recoil by absorbing less of the recoil impulse by not flexing.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Another subtle diff is the trigger guard which on the metal frame is a little bit thinner and a bit narrower at the undercut area (where the middle finger sits). Have to be looking for it (or break out the calipers) but a close visual inspection will show the polymer has bit more material in this area around the mag release hole in the frame. Essentially allows the undercut on the metal frame to be about .04" or so higher. Not that it allows a higher grip per se, but those with big azz knuckles will appreciate the little extra clearance the metal offers.

But as far as felt recoil, going with 147 grain projectiles instead of the more prevalent 115 grain offerings in 9mm is the easiest way to get a noticeable felt recoil reduction, regardless of frame.

Top Bottom