• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    Has anyone out there used the apex trigger kit for their m&p .45? I love the gun but am having a heck of a time getting an accurate grouping. Not a huge fan of the trigger

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    An Apex trigger will definitely smooth up the trigger action and give you a nice clean break and crisp reset. But it won't help you with the shooter issues.

notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    That's mostly what I am concerned with. The shooter issues seem to be gum specific believe it or not. I don't have this problem with Amy other pistol but this .45 is a bear for me for some reason.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A file, a dremel with a polish pad, and a couple of hours will do wonders on most smiths. I've got a brand new M&P 45 that I'll be spending some quality time with soon.

notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    Yeah one tried all 3 diff size backstraps. I'm going with the middle one. The trigger and reset just seem lack luster...great gun but am unhappy with trigger pull

notoriousjmc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    LaPorte
    I like a reset I can at least feel.. Glocks resets are nice and loud but I slid like springfields resets. I can hardly even feel much less hear this one.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    An Apex hard sear took about 2 1/2 pounds off my trigger pull, some polishing on the FPB smoothed out the take up very nicely. I hated the trigger on my M&P 45 when I got it, i'm pretty happy with it now.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Detail strip the gun and do your own trigger job. It's all out on YouTube and it just takes a little time and patience.

Are you recommending that someone, of whom you have no knowledge of their skill level, file and dremel the internal workings of their pistol?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have the DCAEK kit and the aluminum trigger in my M&P 45 full size. Great improvement in take-up and reset and the new trigger is 10x beter than stock. I also had Ameriglo I-Dot night sights put on and it is very accurate. Even thiugh I've only had it about a year I shoot it a lot better with it than I do my Glocks.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Let me make a Point here, Never, Ever use power tools (Dremmel) on trigger parts. Emmery Cloth, a Hard Arkansas Stone and some Patience are the required materials for the Trigger Job. A file (fine) may be used in place of the Dremmel.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Let me make a Point here, Never, Ever use power tools (Dremmel) on trigger parts. Emmery Cloth, a Hard Arkansas Stone and some Patience are the required materials for the Trigger Job. A file (fine) may be used in place of the Dremmel.

I know where your coming from, but I'm not grinding with a dremel. I'm buffing and polishing. I'm also working very slowly with multiple test fits. The dremel isn't used to lighten, it's used to reduce grit. And it works for me.

I was probably wrong to suggest to the OP that he does the same, I made an assumption about his level of knowledge, skill, and mechanical inclination. That was an error.

Apex makes great stuff, I decided to use them on my M&P. I did my own on a sw40ve and turned that turd of a trigger in to something useable.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Instead of starting a new but similar thread, I'll jump on this one.

I have M&P 9 with the Apex USB and the AEK trigger. Rest is factory. I installed the USB, no problems and it took away the gritty feel.

Then I installed the AEK, followed Randy's video and had a dead trigger. Talked on the phone with Apex and they walked me through opening up the trigger loop more(about .045" now). Dry fired fine but at the range today I shot about 65 rounds and had several dead trigger malfunctions. Usually it occurred on the first shot of the magazine.

Given that background I am debating the following:
    1. Keep working with it.
    2. Send it to Apex and ask them to just do whatever it needs to make it right.
    3. Find someone in IN that can work on them and set the pistol up to run nice.
    4. Send it to some M&P expert gunsmith in another part of the country that is renown for making magic with these pistols.

BTW, I am not gunsmith, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.:)

Seriously I am very mechanically inclined, patient, perfectionistic but I also recognize that often it is the little nuances that separate the pros' from the amateurs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom