• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My name finally came up on the list and I was able to liberate a much-sought-after M&P Shield from BGF a few weeks ago.

I also recently had several free hours on a Saturday afternoon to finally test this thing out (as well as blow the dust off an M&P 9 FS)

It was a relatively small private range in NE Indiana - with a rather small backstop as well. Shooting was done with out much movement taking place due to the small backstop.

Ammo used: 175 rds Wolf 115gr FMJ ammo + 14 rds Hornady Critical Defense + 25rds Speer Lawman 115gr FMJ

I did a random combination of semi-rapid "defensive fire", slow aimed fire, and a slowish target acquisition starting in "position 3" of a drawstroke - one shot at a time. (Starting in #3, extend to #4, sight picture, boom, come to #3 again).

What I learned:

Function was almost perfect. It did, however, fail to feed a round of the Hornady. There was 1 rd of Wolf on top of the Hornady, however (to top off the mag). I cannot see how that 1 round of Wolf would have caused this malfunction.

Ejection was inconsistent. I would, at times, have cases ejected straight back over my head and land on the picnic table behind me. Most of the time, they were forcefully ejected back and to the right. (I had this same issue with a G17 I used to own, also)

Accuracy was exceptional when I took my time. Semi-rapid and rapid fire will take much practice for me to become accurate with this firearm, however. It's such a light package that controlability was an issue for me. I can run a 9 FS at a much faster rate, accurately, than the Shield.

Negatives: The above-mentioned inconsistent ejection.

Reassembly isn't as easy as full sized pistols. The Shield is tightly sprung and it takes some work to get the slide to full extension to engage the slide stop/flip up the take down lever. It had me worried that I'd bent something, actually, after my initial field strip & clean I did at home. I presume that my forthcoming field strip, clean, & reassembly will go a little more smoothly due to there being almost 200rds on the spring now.

Also, with the 8-rd magazine, I found that I was getting my ring finger pinched between the grip frame and the ring I wear on that finger. I ended up doing most of my shooting without this ring on my strong hand.

Useful information: The Shield fits into a Raven Phantom meant for a 9 FS decently well. There was a modicum of "retention". Plenty for "range work", but I wouldn't want to be bending over a lot or do any kind of rolling around.

Also useful: I received email conformation from Apex Tactical that their aftermarket sears will fit in the Shield. (provided you buy the sear for the 9mm, .40, or .357 Sig pistols and not the .45) Sweet!

A few pics:
    IMG_20130504_185541_zps0ea8fd1d.jpg

I believe this to represent 6 rds of slow aimed fire. (It may very well be 7 rds, I don't remember) It was with the extended 8 rd mag. The hole at 6:00 is from this string. I knew as soon as the gun fired that I mucked it up. 7 yards, standing unsupported, Speer Lawman 115gr. Subtract out that called flyer - you can see how accurate the Shield can be.

IMG_20130504_185747_zps858c6230.jpg

6-rds slow aimed fire, 7 rd mag, Wolf ammo, 7 yards, standing unsupported

IMG_20130504_190800_zps19e9750b.jpg

12 rds Speer Lawman (2x6rd mags), using the position 3 to 4 procedure mentioned above

IMG_20130504_183635_zpsde31b5e7.jpg

15 rds Hornady 115gr Critical Defense + 1 Wolf. (fully loaded 7 rd mag, fully loaded 8 rd mag, 1 in chamber), using the position 3 to 4 procedure mentioned above.

No pics of any rapid fire targets. Trust me when I say that they weren't worth of being photographed...

And, just for giggles:

IMG_20130504_185215_zps5d5e3ad7.jpg

9 FS, two 9 rd mags, Speer Lawman, position 3 to 4 procedure mentioned above. I got a little too cocky with the second magazine... :(

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I ordered a G|Code holster the other day. Edge Works INCOG IWB Holster System

Pretty pumped about the thing.

Shield will need more evaluation for my tastes. The FTF with the second round in the mag with the Hornady Critical Defense is perplexing. I didn't look closely enough to see how/where it was caught, but it was a nose-dive into the feed ramp. Perhaps that particular round wasn't as far back in the mag as it could've been and the round caught an edge of the ramp right where the polymer tip & jacket come together.

Hopefully the 147gr Hornady XTP will function 100%!

-J-

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks like a good shooter. I use blackhawk mag carriers for double stack mags and they work great! Hopefully the 147's will work out great, they choked in my friends Kahr cw9! My G19 ate them up like a snack. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Looks like a good shooter. I use blackhawk mag carriers for double stack mags and they work great! Hopefully the 147's will work out great, they choked in my friends Kahr cw9! My G19 ate them up like a snack. :)

They work in my M&P FS... I hope they work in the Shield. I know I need to, but I hate burning through it for function checking. Not like it's easily replaceable these days. :n00b:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They work in my M&P FS... I hope they work in the Shield. I know I need to, but I hate burning through it for function checking. Not like it's easily replaceable these days. :n00b:

Yea I know it sucks burning up good ammo these days! I'd check a mag or so to be safe though, the 147's have a lot larger nose than other 9mm rounds as you well know. Seems like some of the real small 9mm's have trouble feeding the big ol 147's up the ramp. Hopefully your shield eats them up, maybe another shield owner on INGO has already tested ammo varieties? :ingo:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the report. I have wondered about trying a Shield vs. M&P compact that I currently carry as to concealability and handling.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the report. I have wondered about trying a Shield vs. M&P compact that I currently carry as to concealability and handling.

My first M&P was a 9c... I traded that on a 9 FS. Overall height/length are going to be quite similar with the two, but I no longer have anything to compare it with directly. :D

I assume it is not too small for you hands? I am guessing our hands are about the same size.

Define "too small"... :n00b: It's thin. Honestly, it's almost TOO thin. I'm actually contemplating a Hogue Handall Jr to go on the grip to give just a bit more girth.

-J-

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Define "too small"... :n00b: It's thin. Honestly, it's almost TOO thin. I'm actually contemplating a Hogue Handall Jr to go on the grip to give just a bit more girth.

-J-
    Thats what I was getting at. I have the compact, and it's small, but still beefy in the grip like the FS.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thats what I was getting at. I have the compact, and it's small, but still beefy in the grip like the FS.

I think that having just a BIT more material will help from an overall controlability standpoint. At least that's how I envision it happening in my head. :D

Nice!
    Enjoy your gun. I know a lot of people are out there looking for them.

I hope to! Holster has been ordered...

Now just to find the time to get it to the range again! :n00b:

Top Bottom