• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    After a little looking and no luck I thought I'd ask you guys.

I bought my M&P9c about two weeks ago, and have put roughly 500 rounds through it. I love it. No malfunctions. Accurate out of the box. The trigger pull doesn't really bother me. One problem I have though is the slide release is extremely stiff and tight. I can barely get enough pressure on it to release the slide when I'm home and it's unloaded. Trying to use the release on the range while running drills? Just ain't gonna happen. So, I thought I had read somewhere that someone makes a slide release extension for the M&P. I don't know if they make one for the compact, or if the release for the full size would work on the compact, but I can't even find it now.

Any help would be appreciated.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    That's the slide stop. Use it to lock the slide back, not release it. Pull back on the slide and let it fly. I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that in a high stress situation your fine motor skills are shot and fumbling with the slide stop is only going to waste time.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You could also try using your support hand to hit the release.

But the sling-shot method that lawrra mentioned is also often times just as fast.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Ya... my bad. The slide stop. You're also right that in a high stress situation like a home invasion the motor skills go out the window. However, I also use this gun for competitive shooting at my range and speed is an important factor. I feel that I'm wasting time by racking the slide to chamber a round that could be shaved off if I had a slide stop extension.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    You could also try using your support hand to hit the release.

But the sling-shot method that lawrra mentioned is also often times just as fast.

-J-

Agreed.

I don't use the slide release any more. If I'm at slidelock after I empty a mag, I rack the slide. I have found it just as efficient. My hand is already near the slide..it just continues up from mag insertion and grasp the rear of the slide and pull back..slide slams forward and you are back in business. I know with the pro, if you slam the mag into the magwell hard enough, it will sometimes rack itself. After a few times practicing, you may find this the best way as well. I shoot USPSA and having taken DP classes. This method seems to be the norm. I don't have a compact, but I have used this method with my XD, M&P, and M&P pro.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Agreed.

I don't use the slide release any more. If I'm at slidelock after I empty a mag, I rack the slide. I have found it just as efficient. My hand is already near the slide..it just continues up from mag insertion and grasp the rear of the slide and pull back..slide slams forward and you are back in business. I know with the pro, if you slam the mag into the magwell hard enough, it will sometimes rack itself. After a few times practicing, you may find this the best way as well. I shoot USPSA and having taken DP classes. This method seems to be the norm. I don't have a compact, but I have used this method with my XD, M&P, and M&P pro.
    My regular M&P 9 will go into battery if you slam the mag home firmly.

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    My regular M&P 9 will go into battery if you slam the mag home firmly.

My M&P9 does that too, which does speed up reloading in IDPA.

Another reason to get used to racking the slide is if you ever have to use someone else's gun, that method always works, instead of trying to find where the slide stop is on an unfamiliar gun.

Top Bottom