• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I may have missed it, but is there a definitive answer on what went wrong? Upthread was mentioned that this gun had a repeatable issue feeding the last round, but no other issues. Are we sure of the bolt-not-closed-properly diagnosis?

Putting myself in that shooter's role, and turning the clock back, the first time it failed to feed the last round, I'd extract it, do as thorough a check as I could at the range, and seeing no obstruction in the barrel, reload and continue shooting. The first few times, even if it failed to feed the last round, I'd figure it was a spring issue or something. I wouldn't imagine it was a critical problem like that!

So, when it came to the time of the video, I would do what had always worked in the past. Knowing the rifle had "character" - and didn't like to give up that last round - just clear it, and shoot. Except this time, big bad boom!

I guess complacency is the main enemy here. You get used to one minor problem, then you get a major problem that looks like a minor problem, and almost end up going to the hospital. Honestly, I've never seen a firearm blow up from the bolt not being closed, but that seemed like an awfully big result from something like that, especially since if it was still open, it was just a little bit. But, I like said, I don't have anything to compare it to! (And I hope not to ever witness something like that in person!)

M1's have a common problem known as the 7th rd stoppage,which it appears this was.
    If you read the womans comment fron the video, she said they were using "new ammo" I read that as current production. Which without the adjustable gas plug is a no-no.

I wonder if it was one of those springfield armory or other clone guns or if it was an original military issue?

Could have been one of the "reweld" recievers we hear bad things about.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    M1's have a common problem known as the 7th rd stoppage,which it appears this was.
    If you read the womans comment fron the video, she said they were using "new ammo" I read that as current production. Which without the adjustable gas plug is a no-no.

Could have been one of the "reweld" recievers we hear bad things about.

The M1 HAD a problem with the 7th round in early production, but problem was fixed. But it wasn't the kind of problem that caused this. Although it could of been a M1 that had the 7th round stoppage. A cure for the 7th round stoppage could be fixed by making sure the top round in the en bloc was closest to the OP Rod when loading, if it was on the other side it snagged on something in the reciever....not sure what it was anymore, but it got fixed.

Out of battery blow up is caused when the bolt an chamber are no longer in specs, an the bolt doesn't fully close, the weapon is fired an the shell causes the bolt to fly back, rather than the gas system to push the bolt back. When that happens its like an explosion an bad things can happen.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    DragonGunner,
    If I remember correctly, the 7th rd stoppage was something to do with either the bullet guide or the clip latch. I don't remember if it was from a out of spec or faulty design.
    That being said I don't think the stoppage in the video had anything to do with the kaboom unless the 7th round bullet was left in the bore upon extraction and shoved in further by the 8th causing a blocked bore.
    My personal theory is current production ammo with to high of pressure being used.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    DragonGunner,
    If I remember correctly, the 7th rd stoppage was something to do with either the bullet guide or the clip latch. I don't remember if it was from a out of spec or faulty design.
    That being said I don't think the stoppage in the video had anything to do with the kaboom unless the 7th round bullet was left in the bore upon extraction and shoved in further by the 8th causing a blocked bore.
    My personal theory is current production ammo with to high of pressure being used.

Agree with the ammo also being to blame as well.

Seems I read on CMP about the 7th round problem, but thought it was in the reciever, perhaps how the bullet guide or clip latch fit. I saw some CMP sales that were selling the bare receivers of early production that had the 7th round problem an had not been reworked, an fixed. So this caused me to believe it was indeed something in the receiver.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Sooooo ... what we're saying here is that it was an out-of-battery detonation? not live fire on a squib?

My un-educated, first impression was that she fired a round (squib) that failed to cycle the action. She manually removed the case. Fired a "good" round and blew up the gun. I didn't think an out-of-battery detonation could completey destroy a gun like that. However, after looking at the video closely, it looks like the barrel is intact on the ground. It would be nice to know for sure.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    This same discussion is on www.m14forum.com . Someone posted over there that they were using reloads. Supposidly they guy was loading .45's before he did the '06's and it was a charge of unique. ( I think this was on the first page of their discussion). I have no way to confirm this tho...

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This subject is getting alot of heat on some other forums, but learned some stuff...I think...lol.

It wasn't a squib because the 7th round never chambered, an gases are seen exiting the muzzle upon firing.

Some don't believe it was a out of battery, the Garand was built not to be able to do this, I had not heard this before, but could be possible if conditions were right, like a brokin firing pin.

Wasn't a slam fire.

So that leads me back to the ammo being too hot for firing without a gas plug....

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    She knew it had the issue of firing out of battery, and yet she continued to fire it? Can't really blame the gun, she should have known better.

Top Bottom