• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Our HP PC crashed the other day. We replaced it with an Apple Mac Mini. I have heard some say that Macs don't get viruses. Is this true? And if so, why not?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've been using Macs of all types for over 20 years, now and have never installed antivirus software. All it does is mess with your machine. Yes, there is a minute amount of Mac affecting malware out there, but you're really unlikely to run across it unless you're downloading lots of pirated and cracked software. There just isn't a "market" for malware and viruses for hackers on the Mac OS platform, as there is with Windows. Same for Linux (around which the Mac OS is built). The Mac OS is just fine without the software. You're chances of being infected are very slim. Unlike Windows.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Macs will not be impacted by the vast majority of virii built for Windows. There are a few (comparatively) iOS/MacOS virii in the wild. With tools like AdBLock and the like, and good web surfing and email habits, you can avoid most (if not all) iOS infections.

That said, there are plenty of anti-virus apps available.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    While folks tend to attack PCs more often than Macs (simple matter of numbers), I'd recommend something. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are virii for everything, but macintoshes are a small enough part of the market that they're not targeted so much. Windoze is the 800lb gorilla, plus it's actually a lot more vulnerable, so the virii target it more, and the social engineers target the fools that buy windoze machines more than the fools that buy macintoshes (note that I'm posting this from a win7 box). Take your windoze machine and install linux on it. My choice is kubuntu (ubuntu with kde). It can run for years without a reboot, literally. There is probably nothing wrong with the hardware. There's a bit of a learning curve, but you won't regret it. The macintoshes now run on a version of BSD unix, which is very very similar.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No it is true. They have historically been fewer viruses for them because there isn't the same incentive to write one. There are just a hell of a lot more Windows computers to try to infect for the effort.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    you should always run antivirus.

that being said, i havent had a single legitimately infected file since the napster/kazaa days (which was my stupidity) and have always run windows (at times dualbooted with ubuntu)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Agreed that having something for anti-virus duties is always recommended. Macs don't get them often, but viruses are out there. Like with any computer, stay away from game sites and don't open emails with odd or unknown attachments, etc. and you will be far better off.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Macs aren't invulnerable. Refer to the results of the PWN2OWN competitions held over the past few years. It's usually Safari and/or Flash that are the attack vector culprits, IIRC.

Even on my Linux laptop, I run antivirus. At a minimum, it can help prevent passing along infected file attachments, etc. to others, even if those infections can't hurt you.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I run Norton Internet Security for Mac. Since I installed it last year it has removed 3 different Trojans from my Mac. It also provides a better more customizable firewall, monitors for spyware, and keeps track of cookies.

Top Bottom