• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I am trying to find a new machete as a Christmas gift. What is wanted is a military issue machete with a 20 inch blade. A previously issued one was finally broken taking out vines/roses, etc. A replacement with a 18inch blade does not have enough mass to swing through the stuff out there (been there, cuss that).

Googling is not being helpful. Anyone local sell one of these? If not, anyone seen them online?

thanks

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am trying to find a new machete as a Christmas gift. What is wanted is a military issue machete with a 20 inch blade. A previously issued one was finally broken taking out vines/roses, etc. A replacement with a 18inch blade does not have enough mass to swing through the stuff out there (been there, cuss that).

Googling is not being helpful. Anyone local sell one of these? If not, anyone seen them online?

thanks

Get hold of Finding zero, he is an expert on machete .....

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    this guy can help with that...

machete-danny-trejo-image.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I don't know about a military machete but if you want a good machete there are lots and lots out there. from customs to standard stuff.

For run of the mill stuff check out condor. they make some nice stuff and have a solid warranty. good blades for the money. Tramontina are also solid but they are bare bones. ESEE knives make a nice machete also. it's not theirs but they rehandle it and it's a great blade for the value.

Custom wise I prefer fiddleback forge. He also buys them premade and handles them. They are the most comfortable handles I have ever felt on a machete and you can go from 12 inches (my personal favorite) to 20 inches.

I also got a jesse Jaroz machete. it's a freaking beast. it's 18 inches and will go through anything about 2.5 inches and under in one smooth swing.

any of these blades will serve you very very well and should clear anything a machete is used for. If your chopping heavy stuff then go for a big bladed chopper. Always chose the right tool for the right job. My suggestion is buy several and test them all :)

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    The Ontario's are quite heavy, I personally don't like them and have owned two (20" saw back and non). They come quite dull as well and would take a decent amount of work to get to a reasonable edge. They are also around $20 as opposed to $5-8 for the Tramontinas and they take far less work to get really sharp.

That being said they are tanks and would be nice if reprofiled, but that's not enough to outweigh the cons of swinging something that heavy around all day to chop down brush.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Tramontina would still be my first pick, but, this would certainly be my second. Incidentally, Tramontina was once offered by Cold Steel.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis

This is what I went with. Arrived quickly. Very solid and good mass to it. I am anxious to try it out (after I give it as a gift). (I hate rosebushes and grape vines! )

Thank you for the suggestions! Though I have begun wondering what would happen if we all carried 'small' knives like this in GFZs. "It's is not a gun and it is not hidden, so what is the problem?"

Thanks again.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Tramontina and it is excellent -- wasn't very expensive either, it was like $20.

If you want to keep a bunch around, LAPolicegear.com has close out on some for $4.99. Shipping costs more than a single machete, so order a bunch as stocking stuffers: Tru-Spec Machetes - OVERSTOCK

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm lame and I have both the 16 and 24 inch Gerber sawback machetes. The 16 inch is my favorite as the 24 bounces on my legs too much when fishing/hunting/hiking. With a good edge I have sliced through 1inch thick saplings and 1.5-2 inch vines with some skill.

They take a good edge and the saw works well. I'm not a super machete enthusiast but these two are fine machetes for the price. Sheaths are pretty decent that come with them. I have taken the 24 and it sits bedside for HD duties. If 45 caliber JHPs dont work than a 24 inch machete should do just fine.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Hmm... interesting thread.

I would like a higher-quality machete. I carry one with me frequently when hiking our property, to selectively wack weeds, bramble, and new saplings. I've never had a sheath but it would be a nice option.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I prefer a 12 inch machete honestly but my jaroz custom 17 has been seeing a lot of use now a days. it's awesome but I would like to the fiddleback handles. they are amazing. like they are made to your hand or something. here is a link to the 16 inch fiddleback machete that's still for sale. I have the 12 incher and it's one of my favorite blades. If you want some nice machete's with out breaking the bank look into the condor line and most of those come with sheaths. Sheaths can be had for the fiddleback also but mostly leather versions and they aren't super cheap either.

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/...learing-tool-w-natural-canvas-micarta-handle/

Top Bottom