• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I took four of my kids down to Madison yesterday to check out the Regatta, and all I can say is, "Wow!" Those jet-powered boats are incredible!

Unfortunately, there was a serious accident involving a race boat and a safety boat. Four people were injured, including one fireman who is in critical condition in a Louisville hospital. We've been praying for him and the others.

The final race had a perfect start with three boats absolutely screaming down the main straight and nearly side-by-side into turn 1. I honestly don't know how they made it through that turn! The O-Boy Oberto boat (owned by the city of Madison) was in second place to the Spirit of Qatar, but was gaining, when Spirit of Qatar spun into its path. O'Boy Oberto hit it broad-side, at speed, doing a 360 degree barrel role and landing right-side up!

This was the first time I'd been there in over 20 years. Madison is more beautiful than ever, and the locals are some of the nicest and most welcoming folks I've ever met, sharing tales of their childhood growing up on the river and with this race.

I got in for 25 bucks, which would have been good for 3 full days, and my kids were all free! (under 10)

We'll continue to pray for the fireman in critical condition, and hopefully, he'll recover fully. I can't imagine how horrible this must be for his family, and for the entire town.

Here's a link. It includes a video of the 2nd crash.

http://www.wave3.com/story/15019921/hydroplane-crashes-into-rescue-boat-three-injured

Here's a cell phone pic. I'll try and post something better, later.

This is the O'Boy Oberto boat, after the final race accident with the Spirit of Qatar. O'Boy Oberto and driver Steve David were awarded the win as Spirit of Qatar was disqualified for spinning into his lane. Sad to see such a gorgeous and majestic machine in shambles. The Spirit of Qatar was in MUCH worse shape, with what looked like a giant bite taken out of the left side. The driver was VERY lucky, because the impact was only a foot or two behind the cockpit.

2011-07-03_18-12-07_916.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Years ago I stayed at a B&B at the top of the hill there in Madison. I didn't realize the Regatta was going on at the time. I could see and hear the boats on the river from the B&B. It was pretty cool seeing them from way up there.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I miss the old days of Thunder on the Ohio in Evansville when it truly was thunder with those V12 Allison motors. The turbines are faster but not near as awesome as the piston powered boats.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I miss the old days of Thunder on the Ohio in Evansville when it truly was thunder with those V12 Allison motors. The turbines are faster but not near as awesome as the piston powered boats.

Yeah, those were really something. Kinda like remembering the awesome sound of the Novi at Indy.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

I was down there in '75 I think. A friends parents had a houseboat on the river, and their refitted old Greyhound bus up on the hill. All us "kids" :rolleyes: stayed on the boat, and had a front row seat for the races. We were just west of the bridge everyone jumps off of.:n00b:

I agree, the sound of the Allison and Merlin engines were awesome! Same reason years ago I would go to the tractor pulls at the State Fair ever so often. After the turbine's took over.... Zzzzzzz:noway:

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Has anyone heard an update about the condition of the firefighter who was in critical condition? I can't find anything anywhere. I'm hoping our prayers are answered and he begins on the road to full recovery.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Hydroplane racing is a good 20 years past its prime. When Bernie Little died Budweiser bailed as fast as they could (Bernie was a Bud distributor, and was in it just for him) and that seemed to take a lot out of the sport. Miss Budweiser was the face of the sport and with that gone most people really seem to have checked out on it. I can remember when it was on ESPN, now I don't even think it gets any TV coverage. Sad for such a fine sport.

Top Bottom