• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've reloaded a ton of that CBC head stamp brass in my LNL with Lee Carbide Dies, and never had any sticking issues (nor is it stepped). I do occasionally lube a case or two when things start to get a little rough (happens with any brass over time) and it smooths everything right out

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Though I wonder what is cheaper, a grain of powder, or a couple grains of copper since it now takes more copper to make.
    Cheapest powder's what, $30/lb and up. Copper's 1/10th of that?

Weighed a couple cases, 77-79 grains vs 55-57 grains so lets say 32gr difference

Actually, napkin math goes the other way from what I previously guessed. Granted this ignores other stuff in the alloy and zero idea of how much powder's saved.
    1662937991593.png

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    That stepped case causes issues everywhere. They should be outlawed. I still run into some occasionally.

AC3D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I agree when I was first starting out reloading a few years back before I sorted by head stamp I couldn’t figure out why I was getting such inconsistencies. Then learned about stepped cases and how they cause pressure spikes with the same powder charge.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OP, I just ran into an issue where I was pulling the bullet seater/crimper die out, breaking the spring tip that sticks through that keeps it in.

I’d replace it, move on for a bit, and all of a sudden the lever would not come down and I’d pull the crimper out to get it down, breaking the spring. After 3 or 4 times I started checking brass, and every one that had stuck had a head stamp of TSA.
    Read somewhere that they were a bit thicker wall, which checked on out on the scale.

Sorted them out and moved on fine. I had never seen the need to sort my brass so sort of bummed about that.

Did not notice a step, but this was an interesting read.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Just found another unusual brass situation. While sorting out the CBC head stamped stuff as I size and decap the brass and found that NORMA brass has a smaller primer hole. Not the primer pocket but the hole the primer fires through. The decapping pin in the Dillon carbide die is too large to punch out the primer. One more head stamp for the junk brass bucket.

Top Bottom