• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I bought a Walther P22 last Friday. Today was the first time I was able to put a significant number of rounds through it. It shot great while I was out today, but when I broke it down to clean it, I saw that the bottom of the slide had been grinding down to the bare metal on both sides. If you run your finger along it, it feels worse than it looks in the picture. I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with a gun I have owned until now. I'm about to find out how good Walther's customer service is.

002.jpg

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    What you're seeing there is a known "problem" with the P22. The trigger bar "ears" ride on that part of the slide which is made from cast zinc.

My P22 has 200+ rounds thru it and shows the same markings on the slide as your's. It does cycle fine and the wear does not appear to be any worse than when I first shot it and cleaned it.

Google Walther P22 Bible. There is alot of info there about the P22 and how to smooth the edges of the trigger bar ears.

:twocents:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    What you're seeing there is a known "problem" with the P22. The trigger bar "ears" ride on that part of the slide which is made from cast zinc.

My P22 has 200+ rounds thru it and shows the same markings on the slide as your's. It does cycle fine and the wear does not appear to be any worse than when I first shot it and cleaned it.

Google Walther P22 Bible. There is alot of info there about the P22 and how to smooth the edges of the trigger bar ears.

It would appear that I didn't do enough homework on this gun before I bought it. I can say that if I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't had made the purchase. My feeling is that this is a serious design flaw.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    It would appear that I didn't do enough homework on this gun before I bought it. I can say that if I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't had made the purchase. My feeling is that this is a serious design flaw.

Heck man, don't give up on the P22 yet.:D IMO it is a fun, VERY accurate pistol. I wouldn't sell mine for anything. Can't beat cheap, meaning .22 fun.:yesway:

Again, just my :twocents:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Heck man, don't give up on the P22 yet.:D IMO it is a fun, VERY accurate pistol. I wouldn't sell mine for anything. Can't beat cheap, meaning .22 fun.:yesway:

Again, just my :twocents:

It made me sick to see that when I broke it down. I was really getting fond of that gun. It feels great in my hand and is accurate as heck, but I don't think you should have to modify a brand new gun to keep it from grinding itself into powder.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    It made me sick to see that when I broke it down. I was really getting fond of that gun. It feels great in my hand and is accurate as heck, but I don't think you should have to modify a brand new gun to keep it from grinding itself into powder.

I can't disagree with you there. I have read that many have thousands of rounds thru their P22's though. As I said, the wear does not appear to have gotten any worse on mine since the first 50 or so rounds. It is something I plan on keeping an eye on.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Just got my second p22 and have fired hundreds of rounds through both with no problems from the trigger bar. However shooting remington unplated 22 rounds, NOW thats another story (lead fouling a plenty)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I bought a Walther P22 last Friday. Today was the first time I was able to put a significant number of rounds through it. It shot great while I was out today, but when I broke it down to clean it, I saw that the bottom of the slide had been grinding down to the bare metal on both sides. If you run your finger along it, it feels worse than it looks in the picture. I'm lucky that I've never had an issue with a gun I have owned until now. I'm about to find out how good Walther's customer service is.

002.jpg
    Go with a p38

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Just ran another 100 rounds thru mine this afternoon. I was shooting CCI MiniMags so there was no lead fouling problems.

I have been putting a dab of grease on the trigger bar ears where they contact the slide. I see no further wear on mine.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Just ran another 100 rounds thru mine this afternoon. I was shooting CCI MiniMags so there was no lead fouling problems.

I have been putting a dab of grease on the trigger bar ears where they contact the slide. I see no further wear on mine.

Ditto the oil. I make sure to lube everything that rubs something else (that's what she said, sorry I had to) when it's fired. Heck, I even take the mags apart and lube those too.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The P22 is hard to beat for a relatively cheap plinker. Grab the P22 Bible mentioned above, and have at it. I luckily read that FIRST, and avoided a bunch of minor issues. She runs like a champ!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    We have hundreds of thousands of rounds through our P22, seriously probably around 600k at this point & that "problem" really isn't a "problem" it's just the slide wearing in a little, they all do that & it shouldn't get any worse with use.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    ooook this was the exact thing that was going down with my brother's walther p22, eventually (by eventually i mean like 7000 rounds down the road) last winter during that wicked ice storm we had here in indiana. we used it and some other firearms to "trim the hanging trees" that got in the way of our tv dish, and internet dish. (dont worry i live in the boondox lol!)

anyhow after a couple rounds in the cold the slide cracked up the side.

fixed without any cost at all by S&W. new coated slide, no wear. no grind. probably 2500 rounds through it.

i really hope yours does not go that far. amazing little blaster for the money.

miborovsky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011

Does this problem (and other common complaints) still happen with the P22Q?

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield

:twocents:[/QUOTE]I agree. The Walther P22 Bible goes over all issues with the P22 as well as goes into great detail explainig how to do various mods to make your pistol function better.

Top Bottom