• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It also depends on what you're looking for. Is your Mak milled or stamped, straight cut or slant?

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Ironwood is definitely a good place to start, if you want wooden stocks. The answers to the questions Vitamink posed and whether you are looking for wood or plastic may get you some other recommendations.

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Iron wood for the classic look although you may have to finish the wood. I have a plastic dragonov stock on mine. The slant recievers have less options. The Mak 90's reciever is slightly thicker than most other AK versions. This means you may have to dremel any furniture you purchase to fit. It is a good gun. But the original thumbhole stock is made for a boy with alligator arms. No offense to those people stricken with alligator arms.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Not to Thread Jack but I have an old Norinco NHM91 (RPK) that I would love to replace the thumb hole stock on. I had another one years ago that I used a Russian, I believe, stock on and it looked awesome. Any constructive suggestions

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To vaughn, like the others said, it depends on the receiver. Standard stamped and you can go with any original Chinese set. Milled virtually requires Ironwood Designs as they make the special stock for the double slant cut and round hole of the milled MAK-90. I would also suggest an Ironwood for a slant cut stamped as well.

Colt556, the Norinco NHM91 is perfect for installing an RPK stock set complete with the clubfoot stock. About the only hang up is that the Chinese used a thicker receiver than the Europeans so you will have to do some fitting, but personally I think it is worth the effort.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I concur. I would go to Combloc customs and have him refinish a set in Iodine orange, and solely use bakelite mags with it :)

shapeimage_1.png

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I concur. I would go to Combloc customs and have him refinish a set in Iodine orange, and solely use bakelite mags with it :)

shapeimage_1.png

I used a similar set up on the one I did back in the 90's. It was a Russian set I believe. Those stock sets are pretty spendy now! Do I need to swap any other parts to remain legal? Thanks.... :yesway:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I went to combloc customs and had them finish a set of of '74 handguard, grip, and stock and it looks heirloom quality. My next set will be done Iodine orange.

DSC02360.jpg

The amount of wood in a laminated clubfoot stock would really showcase this well.

As far as 922r is concerned you're only allowed 10 foreign parts. I would switch out the trigger group, furniture and muzzle device. You can also buy floorplates and springs if need be.

For the OP:

Assuming your gun is a slant cut, buy this:
    Ironwood
    DSC02170.jpg

If its a straight cut, here are a few options for you (though anything AK will work)

-AK style-

Ironwood

p1030646m.jpg

Kvar us made

ak5.jpg

-Ar tube style-
    bonesteel folder
    IMG_6913-1005x1024.jpg

Vltor
    18300389_134142_full.jpg

rifle dynamics

01.jpg

vaughn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    greenwood
    thanks for all the tips i am new to mak/aks i am pretty sure its stamped I have no idea about the str or slant cut, i dont wwant it to look like im tryin to be an AR, i like the wood sets but some ive seen are pretty pricy,i definetly want to get rid of the thumbhole i shoot lefty and it really doesnt work for me.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    pull the thumbhole stock off and you'll know wether its slant or straight. You can also put a straight cut stock on a slant cut receiver, but it'll look a little odd with a triangle shaped gap at the bottom.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    OP I saw Arsenal furniture on the ak builder site.
    I put a set of it on a Mak90 not long ago (not slant cut).
    There was some fitting involved of course but I took my time and it turned out nice.
    The Arsenal stuff I bought came from Ultimak.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    vitamink concerning the Bonesteel folder, did Bonesteel supply the tang screw or did you buy it local?

Those pictures weren't mine, but they do provide the tang screw as it has finer threads than the coarse wood screws.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Those pictures weren't mine, but they do provide the tang screw as it has finer threads than the coarse wood screws.

Ok thanks. I assumed they would send all the hardware. I've had to find metric machine screws for other gun projects.
    There's a Bonesteel Galil stock headed my way but no ETA yet. Right side fold, Warsaw length.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I've done business with IWD before and their product is top notch. You have to be prepared to wait for your order though. When I say wait I mean REALLY wait. They're busy and now they have an additional delay because orders have blown up.

For finishing I would like to rec this guy.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89627

Johnny556 has a stellar reputation and can put out about any color you like. I have seen his work first hand and it is spectacular. Tell him I sent ya and he'll take good care of you.

Top Bottom