• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What exactly are you wanting it for? Because those do two different things.

I am planning on adding a front grip, tac light, and bi-pod on my AR, so even though these two are different they serve the same purpose. With the Mako one I would have to add a bi-pod, and with the grippod I would have to add a tac light. I was just wondering if anyone had used either. I think I'm leaning more towards the Mako fab Defense one though. I really like the flashlight mount.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I am planning on adding a front grip, tac light, and bi-pod on my AR, so even though these two are different they serve the same purpose. With the Mako one I would have to add a bi-pod, and with the grippod I would have to add a tac light. I was just wondering if anyone had used either. I think I'm leaning more towards the Mako fab Defense one though. I really like the flashlight mount.

I wanted to put all of that on my AR at one point. I decided to try the bi-pod by itself and man, it was not comfortable to shoot standing up or crouching with the bi-pod being so front heavy. My advice would be is slap a cheaper bi-pod on yours and take it out for a full day and see how you like it. Just my :twocents:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to put all of that on my AR at one point. I decided to try the bi-pod by itself and man, it was not comfortable to shoot standing up or crouching with the bi-pod being so front heavy. My advice would be is slap a cheaper bi-pod on yours and take it out for a full day and see how you like it. Just my :twocents:

That's a good point. I never really thought about the weight issue. To be honest I am not sure what I want to do, it changes by the minute. I do like the Magpul MOE stuff though so I may just try to outfit it with that and see how i like it. Thanks alot man!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am planning on adding a front grip, tac light, and bi-pod on my AR, so even though these two are different they serve the same purpose.

IMO, while a vertical foregrip and light are "always on the gun" items, a bipod is something more "mission specific" and should only be mounted when you need it. Lugging around a bipod during regular off-hand shooting is heavy and awkward.

Personally, I'm not a fan of "all-in-one" type gear. I haven't seen a grip/light combo that I like. I'd recommend a separate light/mount and VFG. This will cut down on overall bulk, and give you more versatility.

To be honest I am not sure what I want to do, it changes by the minute.

Half the fun of outfitting an AR is changing up the accessories as your tastes and/or needs change. :yesway:

Don't be afraid to discontinue specific gear if it doesn't work for the way you shoot. Best piece of AR advice I ever got was from shooter521, who got it from Pat Rogers-- "Don't forget to let the mission drive the gear train".

For example, with that Mako grip/light combo-- that may work for someone who shoots with their support hand in a "broomhandle" grip around the VFG. However, if you decide that you prefer the "thumb break" grip method, where your thumb rides up along the side of the rail, that combo will then be awkward. Something like a standard VFG with VTAC light mount works much better with that technique.

What type of AR do you have? Carbine? Rifle? Bull-barrel?

How do you spend most of your shooting time? At a bench? Prone? Offhand?

What role does this AR play? Long-distance tack driver? Fun plinker? Home defender?

Answers to these questions should help steer you in the right direction when it comes to what you want to hang on your gun.

ETA: I just found your build thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/128282-finally_started_my_first_ar_build.html

Last edited:

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Esrice, couldnt have said it better. You just cant go wrong with Magpul. I ordered a bunch of Magpul products and I dont have one single complaint. I couldnt decided between going medium range or long range sniper. But I realized with have an AR, push out 2 pins and swap the bolt and you have a tack driver.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    get the grip pod, its light, and i have not been able to break it, and i tried in the first 90 days i had it. its sits nicely on my SKS and compliments the Tapco stock very well.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have used those grippods in the military and although they are nice when you set your rifle down and they keep the barrel out of the dirt. Other than that though I didn't like them. When you press the button to activate the bipod it is LOUD! not very tactical at all IMO.

Also I tend to naturally use the thumb break grip and that makes vertical fore grips awkward sometimes.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I decided to go with the Magpul Angled Forward Grip since my upper came with the Magpul MOE hand guard. Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom