• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No. Economic motivation requires no hate. I worked a few robbery cases where the robber was literally apologizing throughout the robbery, they were motivated by desperation and not hate. Theft as a whole isn't hate driven, it's economic or thrill seeking driven. No hate required. It *could* be hate driven, if it's done as revenge or something, but not typically.

Being a drunk behind the wheel with poor judgement skills and lack of spacial awareness requires no hate, etc.

I mean, unless you expand the definition to the point all human action is hate driven, I suppose. "I hate starving to death, so I buy food" sort of thing, but I think that's stretching the point to absurdity.

While I generally disagree with the concept of 'hate crime', there's no violation of equal protection. Hate crimes in this context would apply to any religion if the motive was the religion. And, likely, lack of religion. I know the next argument is prosecutorial discretion, but that's not the law itself.
    There are also a lot of sick, sadistic, psychotic people that hurt or kill people for reasons other than hating them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    While I generally disagree with the concept of 'hate crime', there's no violation of equal protection. Hate crimes in this context would apply to any religion if the motive was the religion. And, likely, lack of religion. I know the next argument is prosecutorial discretion, but that's not the law itself.
    Actually, my next argument involves harm, not motive. If someone is murdered, they are equally dead - the harm is the same - regardless of the motive of the murderer. That is why "hate crimes" are unconstitutional: because they provide unequal protection to victims and would-be victims.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Actually, my next argument involves harm, not motive. If someone is murdered, they are equally dead - the harm is the same - regardless of the motive of the murderer. That is why "hate crimes" are unconstitutional: because they provide unequal protection to victims and would-be victims.

If you're argument is to be taken at face value, then battery statues are unconstitutional. Beating a child you have care of is a higher crime than a bar fight between adults resulting in the same injury. Both are beaten.

The dead person has no protection, they are dead. The idea behind hate crimes, originally, is the crime is used to intimidate or coerce a group of people beyond just the victim. If I kill you because your Christian, you are black in 'the wrong neighborhood', whatever, the intimidation factor/coercion factor for others to hide being Christian or to move out of the neighborhood makes more victims.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If you're argument is to be taken at face value, then battery statues are unconstitutional. Beating a child you have care of is a higher crime than a bar fight between adults resulting in the same injury. Both are beaten.
    The harm to a child is not worse than the harm to an adult, considering the same amount of unlawful physical force used by the perpetrator? That doesn't seem to track.

The dead person has no protection, they are dead. The idea behind hate crimes, originally, is the crime is used to intimidate or coerce a group of people beyond just the victim. If I kill you because your Christian, you are black in 'the wrong neighborhood', whatever, the intimidation factor/coercion factor for others to hide being Christian or to move out of the neighborhood makes more victims.

And part of the idea behind punishments for crime convictions is to act as a deterrent to committing the crime in the first place: the underlying sentencing guidelines, felony escalators, sentence enhancements, etc.: all designed to discourage the commission of the crime. So, yes: would-be victims are treated unequally under the law due to so-called hate crimes.

And even still, I'm not sure I buy the intimidation/coercion angle as being unique to "hate" crimes. Gang bangers trying to keep rival gang bangers off of their street corner are acting out of a desire to intimidate/coerce a group of people beyond just the victim, too.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

If that was the idea originally, it has no bearing on the use today. It is merely a punitive charge used when the victim checks a certain box.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The harm to a child is not worse than the harm to an adult, considering the same amount of unlawful physical force used by the perpetrator? That doesn't seem to track.

Same physical force, same injury. If I slap you in a bar because you played Alvin and the Chipmunks sing Achy Breaky Heart on the jukebox, resulting in no injury, Class B misdemeanor. If I slap a 10 year old for the same reason for the same result, Felony 6. What doesn't track? Level of injury is a different enhancement.

And part of the idea behind punishments for crime convictions is to act as a deterrent to committing the crime in the first place: the underlying sentencing guidelines, felony escalators, sentence enhancements, etc.: all designed to discourage the commission of the crime. So, yes: would-be victims are treated unequally under the law due to so-called hate crimes.

And even still, I'm not sure I buy the intimidation/coercion angle as being unique to "hate" crimes. Gang bangers trying to keep rival gang bangers off of their street corner are acting out of a desire to intimidate/coerce a group of people beyond just the victim, too.

Being a gangbanger isn't a lawful activity or civil right like being *insert race/religion here*. Intimidation laws certainly apply to non-hate crime activities, though. Intimidation of a witness to a crime is a higher level charge than intimidation over who gets to use the good X-box controller. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of hate crime legislation, I think it can be addressed via intimidation/coercion laws more effectively and less controversially than the value assigned "hate crime" name.

The idea of hate crime isn't to stop the murder. Murder is to stop the murder. Hate crime enhancement is to stop the intimidation/coercion as mentioned, creating more victims.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    INGO forum members should be a protected class.
    This forum is a Safe Space, without the stuffed animals (except for those from a taxidermist).
    INGOsafeSpace.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I disagree. The explosion of hate crime laws have been about the punitive punishment of people committing crimes against a ever growing list of protected classes.

Find "protected class" in hate crime legislation. This isn't affirmative action hires.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO one should leave people’s beliefs up to them. You wanna worship a Goat more power to ya. If it doesn’t hurt anyone including animals go for it.

Whats that Mexican religion that worships a demon and sacrifices people?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Find "protected class" in hate crime legislation. This isn't affirmative action hires.
    A hate crime is a crime against a person, group, or property motivated by the victim's real or perceived protected social group. You may be the victim of a hate crime if you have been targeted because of your actual or perceived: (1) disability, (2) gender, (3) nationality, (4) race or ethnicity, (5) religion, (6) sexual orientation, and (7) association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. Hate crimes are serious crimes that may result in imprisonment or jail time.
    Here's California's. It's right there in the first line.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Here's California's. It's right there in the first line.

What's the protected class? Everyone has a gender, nationality, race, religion (or lack thereof), and sexual orientation. I guess you can hang your hat on disabled, though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    IMO one should leave people’s beliefs up to them. You wanna worship a Goat more power to ya. If it doesn’t hurt anyone including animals go for it.

Whats that Mexican religion that worships a demon and sacrifices people?
    Satan worship called by another name.

Top Bottom