• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hi all - I got a hankorin for my first lever action rifle and I like the price and the reviews of the Marlin 336 (Dicks has them for $350 after rebate) anyway I stopped in and looked at one and the fit and finish was terrible. What's up? Now for $350 I don't expect BLR quality but I know Bass Pro sells the same Gun for $550. Anyway, what do you all think?

I am gonna stop by bass pro and look at the 336SS in stainless which I have read good things about - only thing is this one is $579

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The fit and finish of the Dick's gun may be lesser quality because it's a variation of the 336W, the bottom line Marlin 30-30. Take a look at a 336CS. Much nicer. Rossi's Rio Grande is a close copy of the Marlin 336 and the stainless version is selling for $397.99 at Whittakers. Plus tax if you're a walk in.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Like Hoosier8 said, the older ones are much nicer. I bought one for my son several years back. It is a very nice rifle. Fit and finish much better than the newer ones that I have seen. There are usually a few of them around at decent prices.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    IMHO used is the way to go, I've seen models as low as $150 in INGO classifieds and pawnshops. The pre-cross bolt safety models seem to be better fitted. Don't forget Marlin/Glenfield built store brand models for Western Auto, Montgomery Wards, Sears, and others, all still pure Marlin but with a charm of their own. For more information check out Marlin Owners - Index
    Have fun....:@ya:...Duce<><

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I agree, you can pick up a used one pretty easily. What caliber are you looking for?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Get one before remington bastardizes them to much.

As long as it has a circle and a JM inside of it it is a real marlin 336. If it has a REP stamp it is a remington/marlin or marlington rifle and I don't want anything to do with those.

hoosierjohn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I love mine. I picked it up used for about $150 in the mid 90's. I don't shoot it often because I like my evil black rifles too much. I'd look for a used one. Mine was built in 1972 and it has a beautiful deep blue finish.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have a 336 and enjoy it very much. The only deer I have shot out of state was with my 30-30. I did like the others here have suggested, find a used, pre-bolt safety one.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I agree with the others get a nice used one I myself dont care for the checkered stocks and cross bolt safety on the new ones plus a nice used one can be had for a lot less and is probably a better made gun I have a 1969 336 texan 30 30 and it will be the last gun I ever part with good luck on your search

Top Bottom