• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hi. Had this marlin for about a year and got around to fiddling with it..cleaned up a bit and checked it over and seemed fine. I loaded a round in it and fired it. Click but not firing. No strike on the round. Going to disassemble but first wanted to ask about what to look for/advice. Thanks in advance 897F9B75-6827-4858-80F6-7C71E632CF01.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had an old single shot Stevens I got cheap guy said it was a gunsmith special.

I cleaned it up good because I don't think this guy cleaned it at all. Tried to fire it click no joy. Looked at 22lr rim it just barely touched it. So I took apart the bolt. I found the problem fast. The firing pin, spring, and hole was full of gunk, dirt, carbon, rust you name it. I took non chlorinated brake cleaner put my nitrile gloves on safety glasses and my old work shirt and sprayed it until it was clean. Then I applied oil wiped off the excess put it back together it fired fine. I eventually ordered in a new firing pin and spring. The original pin and spring were old, and showed it. Works great now.

So that might be your problem or you just need a new firing pin or spring maybe both.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I recently worked on the bolt of a similar one. There was so much grime in the bolt that the firing pin wouldn’t extend far enough out of the bolt. I didn’t disassemble it completely but enough I could use brake cleaner and flush it all out. It works smooth as silk now. It didn’t look that dirty so was surprised when all the black soot starting flushing out onto the shop towel. I thought for sure the firing pin was broke or too worn.

Top Bottom