• ...and so much more!
  • CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    article-2079352-0C77A29C00000578-571_634x623.jpg

Massive solar storm 'will knock out radio signals and produce amazing Northern Lights' | Mail Online

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The sun is an amazing phenomenon, and stuff like this happens sometimes. Radio propagation on shortwave is muchly effected by the sunspot cycle, should be peaking soon. You get freakish things, like talking between California and New Zealand on legal CBs.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    solar maxiumum is this comming year maybe the Aztecs were on to something I still think it would be grand to have a storm big enough to knock the grid down for a few months. I spend my life (work and hobbies) completely connected to the web. A unconnected life sounds very refreshing. I have plenty of food plenty of wood plenty of water and plenty of ammo. We would be good for several months

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Did not mean to offend. just playing around. I make my living on a computer. I just have a strange sense of humor. Playing off all the end of the world soothsayers.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Did not mean to offend. just playing around. I make my living on a computer. I just have a strange sense of humor. Playing off all the end of the world soothsayers.

Prophets? Or soothsayers? We won't know til the crisis has come and gone.

History is a funny thing. Written by the winners from the winners point of view, it always seems optimistic as to the future of the winners. :rolleyes: Doesn't always work out that way. Ask the Romans. Cultures fail. Doesn't happen every day. Doesn't always happen all of a sudden. They felt, I'm sure, like they just turned around and everything had suddenly gone to PooPoo, but the signs were there. People willfully chose not to notice. Are we at that stage in America? Where most are willfully ignoring the signs? :dunno:

We shall see. IMO, we'll know something in the next 1 to 2 years. Possibly a lot sooner.:draw:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    solar maxiumum is this comming year maybe the Aztecs were on to something I still think it would be grand to have a storm big enough to knock the grid down for a few months. I spend my life (work and hobbies) completely connected to the web. A unconnected life sounds very refreshing. I have plenty of food plenty of wood plenty of water and plenty of ammo. We would be good for several months

How do i get to your place? Im all outa ammo :(

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Amateurs call AM MW (medium wave) and it often propagates like shortwave. When things get extreme, it's not a big thing. Get a clear channel and the right time of day, you can get one all over the continent. I've had TV channels from different time zones, UHF from different states with tropospheric ducting. The stuff that's really freaky is when you get ionospheric propagation up to over 50MHz, and you can go intercontinental with 6M. Good times to recruit new hams, I tell ya.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Amateurs call AM MW (medium wave) and it often propagates like shortwave. When things get extreme, it's not a big thing. Get a clear channel and the right time of day, you can get one all over the continent. I've had TV channels from different time zones, UHF from different states with tropospheric ducting. The stuff that's really freaky is when you get ionospheric propagation up to over 50MHz, and you can go intercontinental with 6M. Good times to recruit new hams, I tell ya.
    As a child I recall one evening in the car with my mother and we picked up a station that sounded as though they were speaking some sort of "oriental" language. That was freaky because it was obviously not from this continent. If only we could find a way to control and use these phenomena.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.

I remember one day this year (can't remember the month), where ducting was happening and you could pickup people from all over the states on 2m. The local repeater was going crazy with people making contacts.

That was a great day to listen in.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh we understand them pretty well, now, but it's all natural phenomena that we really can't control. There are operators that work each other via the ionization trails from meteors, but it still depends on the incidence of meteors. We can't make sunspots happen, we just have to wait for them, but then the magic happens :) Talk to Europe on 5 watts. Make friends all over the world. When the bands are hot, you can do it all. In a few years, it will die off again, and you're lucky to get the next state on some bands. Just the way it is.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I remember one day this year (can't remember the month), where ducting was happening and you could pickup people from all over the states on 2m. The local repeater was going crazy with people making contacts.

That was a great day to listen in.

My best one was a traffic helicopter at 460something from Toledo OH, received just north of Indianapolis. I had to look up a couple of intersections they mentioned, just to figure out where they were. I picked them up full quieting on narrow FM out in my driveway on an HT. Kind of surreal.

Top Bottom