• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    Step 1: load up your BOB however you want.

Step 2: Estimate the longest distance you'll need to travel with your BOB.

Step 3: Enjoy your hike.

If it is too heavy: Step 4: Either keep rucking until it's not a problem or reduce weight.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    20% of body weight for kids...25% to 30% for adults. Get out and carry it to make sure. Personally I try to keep my pack to under 55 lbs. So...I guess that dream of bugging out with 1000 rounds of AK ammo in a pack ain't gonna fly. Water is heavy too.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Step 1: load up your BOB however you want.

Step 2: Estimate the longest distance you'll need to travel with your BOB.

Step 3: Enjoy your hike.

If it is too heavy: Step 4: Either keep rucking until it's not a problem or reduce weight.
    ^^^^
    This..... and use it like you would in real life, that means weight diminishes as you travel.

Water and food weight will disappear, and there might be some items used out of your BoB that will not be put back in.

My BoB weight is 37 pounds, but there's 1.5 gallons of 4oz water packs and food stuff's that will be disappearing as I travel.

So I have roughly 12 pounds in water and I think 5 pounds of food.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The weight of ours changes with gear updates and seasonal changes.
    Yes, use it like you would in the real world not the one in your head. You will find there is a great difference between the 2.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I like the modular approach so a quick belt attached kit that fits in a small backpack that fits in a larger bag. Scalable and fast depending on circumstances.

I'm getting older and out of shape :) so 20# is about my limit for anything over a few miles. Starting to work on that btw.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you can't run with it, bend over with it, tie your boots with it, get down and get back up with it, it may be too heavy. 35lbs is my target, as of this year I can still carry that for 10 hours a day 6 days straight. I keep a larger bag in the truck as well with seasonal gear. There is camping out with the vehicle and then there is leaving the vehicle on foot.

I don't think in in terms of bugging out but rather getting home, if I were to bug out the same gear would apply plus the the things staged to toss in a vehicle. If I am bugging out on foot, I am probably running too.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    45lbs max., you had better be used to humpin a pack to carry that much. And know how to pack it right. That goes for a pack of any weight. That's something average people have no knowledge on.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well, all I did was pack the bag how I wanted it, and then I picked it up and put it on. It was lighter than the packs I humped at TBS, so I figured it was good to go.

My pack arguably needs some more work; I basically just threw this one together so I had *a* pack, and when I get another chance, I'll start refining it. But at least I know that I can handle even a poorly packed bag.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The 25% rule is a decent standard but not everyone can be held to the same standard. If your bugout is potentially 100 miles on foot, a 20lb bag might be the only way you'll make it but that won't be nearly enough for food. 40lbs might prolong the trip by double the intended time which could still leave you short on food. I see only one true way to combat something such as this and that is to exercise with weight, steadily increasing until you're physically fit enough to carry exactly what you need at the speed you need to get there. You cannot prepare for all contingencies but you CAN prepare your body and mind WAY more than you can prepare in gear.

I regularly do 10-12 miles of moderate trails with my GHB at a 3mph pace including rests. This is by no means flat ground and much more difficult than the terrain I would cross in order to get home so I'm preparing with an intensity level much higher than what would be necessary. I see this as just good enough, but not completely ideal for my situation. My pack weight of around 22-25lbs is light but I'm more interested in speed so there is a trade off. Basically all I'm saying here is figure your own stuff out for the whole shot, test yourself, test your gear, then alter the entire plan accordingly. There's no place for theory when it comes to survival.

Top Bottom