• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Need an earful from experienced meat smokers. I'm not talking about comfort measures here folks. I'm talking about backyard cookouts.

Here is what I've got, I know, and I did.

I made a redneck smoker.

Galvanized trash can with an electric range element. Tin box with smoking chips. Pan gets hot, smoke rises and keeps the can at about 225 degrees.

Now I didn't create this grill, saw it online. Its efficient, cheap, easy to store, its perfect for an "as seen on TV" commercial :D

I smoked two chicken breast and two talapia fillets last night. They both cooked thoroughly in about 2 hrs. The fish was flakey and had good taste, a bit smokey, but not bad. The chicken was moist and easy to cut, perfect cook, but tasted awful. The smoke flavor was way too strong and ruined the meat.

Now I didn't use any rubs or marinate, as I wanted to get the smoke idea first, since it was my first meat in the smoker. I'm guessing since the meat didn't have a thick skin on it to absorb the smoke, and didn't have any rub to distribute the flavor.

Any suggestions or ideas?

2.jpg

1.jpg

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    My only concern is that galvanized steel gives off poisonous gas if it gets too hot so be careful.

I found this write up

I work in the area of assessment of human health risk from exposure to unregulated hazardous waste sites. Galvanized products are coated with pure zinc, which is not one of the metals that we generally pay a lot of attention to because it's unusual to find health risks in the general population from exposure to zinc. Zinc is one of a number of metals that the body requires in trace quantities but which can become toxic if consumed in sufficient amounts. Excess zinc in the body can also be detrimental because it has the effect of stripping other beneficial trace metals (e.g., copper and calcium) before it itself becomes toxic.

Zinc melts at a relatively low temperature and I suspect that in your galvanized trash can smoker some zinc is vaporized and ends up on the surface of your food. This probably occurs at a much smaller rate after the smoker acquires the black coating you describe, which would have the effect of isolating the zinc coating.

All of that said, I strongly doubt you are exposing yourself to enough zinc to be concerned. As you may be aware, some people believe that relatively large doses of zinc protect against and/or cure the rhinoviruses that cause the common cold and similar diseases. If you regularly take zinc supplements for that or some other reason (and eat a lot of your own bbq) there may be a small chance that the additional zinc from the smoker could be detrimental. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't be worried about it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The only experience I have is from welding and it gave me a headache. I'm far from an expert, just wanted to point it out. Alton Brown from food network made something similar so I might be wrong entirely.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, definitely do some type of rub.

And if things are getting too smoky then put fewer chips in your pan... you can also take the pan out and finish cooking with the heat alone, no smoke if you think you overdid the smoke early on.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    people often think of smoking as drowning out the meat with smoke when you cook it, this is not true. smoke is meant to compliment the meat and and flavorings. it also depends on the wood your using. too much of a certain type isn't always good, 100% hickory in your smoker can be bitter, while mesquite is spicier and more pungent. I would suggest two things, FLAVOR THE CHICKEN! it has no inherent flavor like beef or lamb, why do you think everyone says random critters taste like chicken? they have no flavor. and two, try mixing your woods and play with the ratios. I use a mix of hickory and oak with a bit of cherry.:twocents:

Last edited:

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Google Ugly Drum Smoker. They are made out of 55 Gallon steel drums. You can find them that cooking oil has been shipped in. Easy to make and every popular

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The chicken was moist and easy to cut, perfect cook, but tasted awful. The smoke flavor was way too strong and ruined the meat.

Now I didn't use any rubs or marinate, as I wanted to get the smoke idea first, since it was my first meat in the smoker. I'm guessing since the meat didn't have a thick skin on it to absorb the smoke, and didn't have any rub to distribute the flavor.

Any suggestions or ideas?

You need airflow through the smoker and if you can see smoke coming out of the outlet, you're using too much wood. You should just be able to see a trace of smoke, but not a constant stream. Also try some apple or pear wood. Soak the wood in water for about an hour before tossing it in the pan. I use mostly apple or pear with just a little mesquite or hickory. Try a good marinade too. I use 50/50 Franks Hot Sauce and cider vinegar. Put the meat and marinade in a large ziplock bag in the fridge or cooler for a couple hours. The acid in the vinegar seems to break down the fibers in the meat, tenderizing it and allowing the smoke to penetrate.

Once you get the meat to 160 to 170 degrees, pull it off the smoker and let it set for 30 minutes or so. When you slice the meat you should see a pink or gray smoke ring penetrating about an eighth of an inch into the meat.

After I take the meat out of the marinade, I put the remaining marinade in a sauce pan and simmer it while the meat is smoking. If the marinade gets boiled down too much, you can add some of your favorite amber beverage. Spoon the sauce over the meat before serving.

I've got to go now, I'm starting to drool on the keyboard ...........

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    It could be a few things. By looks, you have way too much smoke. You want just a thin blue smoke. If your wood is rotted or not seasoned, that also will give a very bitter taste. With a upright smoker your size, 8lbs of charcoal/lump, you will only need two or three fist size chunks.

Top Bottom