Menards Black Friday safe, will my floors hold?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Menards

Sentinel® 30 Gun Convertible Safe

$399.00 each After $50.00 Mail-in Rebate

• Menards® SKU: 480-8977
    • Electronic lock with back-up key and hardened steel plate behind the lock
    • ETL verified Fire Rating 1,400 degrees for 30 minutes
    • Approved by the California Department of Justice as meeting their standards for safely storing firearms
    • Factory-installed door storage
    • 4-way locking with 5-1/2" live action locking bolts and 3-dead bolts
    • Grey carpeted interior, 1-fixed full-width top shelf, 1-center divider, 4-half-width removable shelves and gun rests
    • 29-1/4" x 59" H x21-3/4" D
    • Silver chrome hardware with pebble gray semi-gloss exterior finish
    • Fastening hardware included
    • Package dimensions are 30-1/2" W x 60" H x 24-5/8" D, 432 lbs.
    • 519 lbs.
    Looks like a decent deal, but I am concerned if my floors can hold that much in a confined space? It would be against a load bearing wall. Does anyone else have a safe or something heavy upstairs? Am I over reacting?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    500 lbs don't seem like much to me. 3 guys standing uncomfortably close could make that up pretty quickly. A little more information on the floors would help though.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    500 lbs don't seem like much to me. 3 guys standing uncomfortably close could make that up pretty quickly. A little more information on the floors would help though.

Luckily there haven't been too many times 3 guys have been in my closet together ;)

Unfortunately i dont don't know much, CP Morgan home in a subdivision. I assume if there is a minimum for "code" that is likely the grade used. I wish I knew more, but I appreciate your response!

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    If you feel confident that you can stand 3 200# people in a 2' x 2' square area on the floor you'll have no problem. Typical floor joists are 2" x 10" on 16" centers and if that's the case you should be ok.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Menards

• Approved by the California Department of Justice as meeting their standards for safely storing firearms
    • Grey carpeted interior, 1-fixed full-width top shelf, 1-center divider, 4-half-width removable shelves and gun rests
    • 519 lbs.
    Looks like a decent deal, but I am concerned if my floors can hold that much in a confined space? It would be against a load bearing wall. Does anyone else have a safe or something heavy upstairs? Am I over reacting?

My comment would be to be aware of the gun "capacity." I have my doubts that any gun safe's advertised gun capacity is not overstated. If you are storing scoped rifles or side by side shotguns they can easily take up more than one space. Secondly, unless you remove the bolts on rifles or the bolt release handle on auto loading shotguns the finish on adjacent firearms can easily be marred.

Not a specific criticism of any safe make or model, just don't plan on getting 30 long guns in this safe.

YMMV.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Menards

• 519 lbs.

My comment would be to be aware of the gun "capacity." I have my doubts that any gun safe's advertised gun capacity is not overstated. If you are storing scoped rifles of side by side shotguns they can easily take up more than one space. Secondly, unless you remove the bolts on rifles or the bolt release handle on auto loading shotguns the finish on adjacent firearms can easily be marred.

Not a specific criticism of any safe make or model, just don't plan on getting 30 long guns in this safe.

YMMV.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    As long as every store has at least one and the rebate is more than an in store credit,you should be GTG. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If it makes you feel better, I have a 90 gallon aquarium running parallel to the joists. The water alone is around 750 pounds plus about 75-100 pounds in gravel, weight of the tank, lights, filters, and stand and I think you have your answer of nothing to worry about with a safe.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The bottom of the safe is flat so you're talking about roughly 5.5 square feet of load bearing area. Less than 95 lbs per square foot for the empty safe. Put it on a piece of 3/4" plywood wider and deeper than the safe and you spread the weight even more.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Menards

• 519 lbs.
    To answer your question, unless you live in a trailer built in 1963 with weak or rotten decking and joists, you will be fine!

Top Bottom