• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I have be looking at Michael Morris Knives and have talked to Michael Morris. Has anyone bought or owned one of these fine knives made from old files?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I own a Tactical Filer, a necker, and a friction folder from Michael. These knives are of excellent quality and are a bargain at the prices he sells for. Also he seldom uses old files but rather buys new Nicholson files to make these knives. After making each blade he heat treats them. His knives sharpen easily and hold a great edge.

morris.jpg

BearArms Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks for the response. It looked like on the website pics, there were two lengths of the tactical filer. Does the one you have seem to be the desired lenth?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Well...there wasn't a choice when I bought mine...that is the first Tactical Filer he made in my pic. But I did buy it because I liked the blade length and the very utilitarian style of the knife. It is hollow ground which I like and which many stock removal makers don't do. The grinds were perfect and it fit my hand very well without there seeming to be any hotspots. I see he no longer offers it on his website but offers the Watchman and the MAK 10.5. The MAL10.5 is very similar and I like the lanyard hole on it. He doesn't mention it on his website but these are beefy knives, the spine on mine is 3/16ths of an inch thick. The tip has plenty of cure to it for use as a skinning knife and it does take a wicked edge.

The leather sheath is very stout as well, made from what looks to be the shoulder of the hide.

morris9.jpg

morris8.jpg

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Michael seems to be a cleaverly kept secret, I don't know why. For the money, his knives are as good as you can get, and he is an excellent craftsman. I have three of his knives, one of which is my own design that he helped me to refine. All three are instant heirlooms. You simply can't go wrong with one of Michael's knives.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I saw him once at a 1500 a year and a half ago?

Bought a Classic Hunter 8. Very sharp, and pretty cool looking. Feels great in the hand and is pretty well balanced.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    This is one we talked about making, I told Michael what I wanted and a few weeks later it was delivered. It is an example of a very successful collaboration that can happen when maker and customer talk and listen to each other. It is the longest blade he has made so far and it turned out absolutely as I envisioned it.

Blade - 6 inches
    OAL - 10 3/4 inches
    Scales - black canvas micarta

The scales are easy to remove and the addition lanyard holes make it easy to lash to a staff to make a survival spear.

morris1872.jpg

cendsley87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Haven't heard of these, gonna have to check them out, I like the one propped on the shotgun shells a few posts up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Okay I am getting one of these. I just need to do some drawings...

EDIT:
    I've been talking with Michael over email for 4 days now. We've finalized the design and he is ready for production (his turnaround time these days is 3 months). He has been really helpful over email, and has answered 100% of my issues and concerns. If you are considering working with him, do it! (actually don't, my belter with micarta scales might take longer! :): )

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    yes please don't order from michael whatever u guys do!!!

:D means more for me.

I just got my FileBelter in the mail, LOVE IT!!! These knives have character, excellent.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Michael places orders from military personnel at the front of the list so his lead times can run a bit long, when working on mine it got put on the back burner while he filled an oder for a handful of knives for some troops heading oversea. I know I am personally to blame for part of that backlog...lol...I have shown many folks my knives from Micheal and I know several who have orders in now.

Top Bottom