• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    A HUGE +1 :rockwoot: Today was the first time I had been in their store and I was impressed. All staff were knowledgeable, and if they didn't know the answer to a question they immediately asked someone else. Prices were excellent. Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 for $390. Federal American Eagle .223 was $300 per 1000. MP 15-22 mags were $15. I handled a Kahr, FS2000, multiple ARs and the staff answered every question.

The staff didn't say a word about me OC'ing. No sign was posted (that I saw) and the staff was at ease. Bottom line is that I was impressed by the pricing, selection, store layout, and staff. I will be visiting again. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    :yesway: I was there tonight for about an hour before close, I picked up a cw9. Got a real good deal and better service.
    everyone who works there carrys and they never seem to have a problem with their customers carrying.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Never been to their store but always talk to them at the 1500 and have bought several guns from them there. Good prices and they always try to help. The only downside is the line is usually so long at the gunshow to checkout, they must be doing something right.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Never been to their store but always talk to them at the 1500 and have bought several guns from them there. Good prices and they always try to help. The only downside is the line is usually so long at the gunshow to checkout, they must be doing something right.

I rarely get a chance to get within 5 feet of their table at shows. Now I know why. They were more than willing to negotiate on prices, and their sales were excellent. No complaints here.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    We've got to be talking about two different places.

Back in August, a fellow shooter gave me a Midwest flyer that had some great prices on a couple of guns that I had on my want list. A few days later I called Midwest to inquire about a Ruger 22 for my son and a revolver for the wife. I asked the guy on the other end if I could give him a credit card and have the Ruger shipped to my FFL. The guy tells me he's "Not sure if he can do that" and proceeds to start asking someone on the other end what they can and can't do. After a few minutes of confusing conversation, I finally ask him if both guns will be available at the 1500 and he recommends I go there and save a few dollars on shipping, etc. So I drive up to Indy with my flyer and grab a couple of guys at the Midwest booth. I can't find either gun in the booth and after showing one of the guys the flyer I'm told that they don't have either gun. One guy tells me to call Mishawaka and get what I need. When I inform him that Mishawaka sent me to the 1500 the guy shruggs his shoulders and says "Bummer, don't know what to tell you".

So the next day I call Mishawaka and get someone else who doesn't seem to know what is happening. He informs me that one of the guns is out of stock and the other gun I can pick up at the 1500. When I tell him I've been to the 1500 and they sent me to him he tells me to "stop in and he will see what he can do". When I try telling him I'm south of Indy it flies over his head. So I guess I could drive 150 miles or I can go elsewhere. The choice is obvious.

I've purchased 3 guns since that conversation, none from Midwest. These guys have lost 3 sales and I highly doubt I would give them a 2nd look. Maybe I just hit it at all the wrong times. Hopefully others will do better.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I know a guy that went in there and asked for a Hi point AR15 and the kid helping him searched the store for it. Us local guys know who to go to at Midwest when we need help. There are some real gun guys in there. And then there are just some faces.

Last edited:

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    If I am looking fo something specific, and I want it from a specific vendor, be it Midwest, or any other, and I want to pick it up at the 1500, I call them, give them my name, and ask them to bring it for me. I have seen several threads bu INGO supporters that ask people if they need anything specific. Let's face it, it is impossible to bring everything to a show, and it is cheap insurance to make a call to be sure it will be there waiting for you. My :twocents:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have been in Midwest to many times to count. I have bought a few guns from them and have had no problems. Like someone else said, if you are local you know who to go to to get answers and to talk to about negotiating prices. Most employees are great, but some try to point uneducated buyers toward one type of handgun (it differs from employee to employee {M&P from some, Glock from others, 1911 from others}). That kind of annoys me since I feel like they should be showing them the VERY WIDE range of guns they offer to help them find the best one for them, but as an experienced shooter I feel like they are a great gun store, and probably the best one in Northern Indiana

I do have to say that I have never dealt with them at the 1500 since I can visit them in person when I visit my family up there.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my G26, my first CCW, there last year when the G26 was almost impossible to find in the stores. They had one in the case when no one else had any. They added the Trijicon night sights for the purchase cost only and sent me on my way happy. My sons and I returned there later to purchase Galco Summer Comfort, my Blackhawk Serpa, and a holster for my son's other carry piece. Every time, they treated me great.

My oldest son bought his Sig Mosquito from them at the only 1500 I have ever attended. He had to fight his way to the display table, wait forever and an age to get his questions answered and another age for service once he made up his mind to buy. First time to the range the Mosquito had repeated FTF and FTE problems—repeated! When he called Midwest about it, they told him the Mosquito is famous for FTF and FTE with anything less than superior class ammo. He tried "better" ammo and the Mosquito has worked perfectly ever since. What irritates me about it is that my son specifically asked about the need to feed the Mosquito certain brands and was told by at least two reps that the Mosquito would eat anything because it was a Sig, and that meant quality.

I guess one must say Midwest is a typical company that tries to do its best. It is only as good as its salespeople. Some of them are more knowledgeable than others. Some of them will go out of their way to help the customer, some won't. If it were my company, I would launch a new effort to improve customer service (perhaps enroll them in a Dale Carnegie basic course) and to improve employee knowledge of their products. On the other hand, I am not the owner because I do not have even a basic knowledge of how to run a business, and I have only a basic knowledge of firearms—very basic. So I really have no room to criticize Midwest for sales people who do not know their product or who do not provide good service.

When I have a chance, I drop into their Grape Avenue shop to fondle things I can't afford, learn from those who know more than I and smell the gun oil. Other times I pop into Tomlinsons in Churubusco, or H & H or Ranger Supply in the Fort. Some day I hope to pop into 21st in Bluffton just to meet the guys in the shop and continue learning. I will never return to the 1500, though, or other gun shows—even in the Fort. Nor will I pop into Don's shop in Indy. Midwest is not perfect, but it is a good place to do business if one does one's homework first. Like the others I named, they're good folks. So walk in, sit down, put your feet up and shoot the breeze.

Just my opinion.

Silvertree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    I bought a couple of weapons from them at the 1500. I thought they were great. Funny how experiences are so different. For instance, I bought a shotgun at 21st Century and I had one of the worst retail experiences I have ever had.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Funny how experiences are so different.

Agreed. I have been in Midwest many times and I have never had a bad experience. I think some of us have different expectations. I pretty much want to be left alone unless I give the nod to a clerk. If anything, they try to be too helpful up until that point. I don't generally have any questions on the firearms, just if they can do better on the price. As someone else said, knowledge by the employees varies a great deal. When they first got going at the new store, there were a couple that didn't know much of anything. But they learn over time or leave. Like any other retail business.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I live across the street from the Grape Road store, so if I go in and they don't have what I'm looking for, its not a huge deal. I've wasted five minutes, including travel time. But here's my advice:

Before you walk through the door, (1) know what you want; and (2) know how much it should cost.

If you follow these two rules you will have a good experience wherever you go. Even Midwest Gun Exchange.

MGE has some very good people working there, but you should know by now that if you rely on gun store employees to make decisions for you, you deserve what you get.

You don't go to the grocery store and pull the clerk over and point to something on the shelf and ask, "is it yummy?"

You are reading this on the internet. Somewhere near the top of your screen there's a google key. Use it before you go to the gun store.

This is probably going to come across a lot more sarcastic that I intend it to be, but I'm going to hit send anyway!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is probably going to come across a lot more sarcastic that I intend it to be, but I'm going to hit send anyway!

If you thought that was so sarcastic that it might offend people, you really haven't been around long. Half of the group is way more sarcastic than that just saying good morning. The other half are offended no matter what you post anyway.

Top Bottom