Milled a J frame front sight, XS sight installation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The newer smiths w/ a pinned in front sight are WAY easier. This was an install on the older model that needs the front sight milled down to .060x.080 and .060 back from the front of the rib.

Indicated everthing in. I snapped a pic at the begginning but forgot to snap one once i had everything set up.

IMG_1065.jpg

Got it milled down, and took a few strokes w/ a file to get the edges trimmed and roughed up to make a good bonding point for the epoxy.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Mixed up the epoxy. I used marinetex because its what i had around.

IMG_1071.jpg

Degreased the front and the inside of the sight.

IMG_1070.jpg

I used a soft face clamp and pressed the front sight on. q tips w/ wd40 to clean up the overflow.

IMG_1072-1.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Once the epoxy set i dressed the sight rib down because it looks goofy if you dont. Once it was dressed down, i polished it out to match the rest of the revolver. (its probably a bit more polished now, but let it spend a week or two in a pocket and it will look like the rest of the gun.)

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Test fired and all went well.

I decided i would make the hammer low profile while i was at it. So i chucked it in the mill, roughed off most of the material, dressed it up with a mill bastard file, then a fine gut, then polised it out also once i had the profile looking proffesional.

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

rightsideup.jpg

Total time was probably around 2 hours, not including epoxy cure time, or rangetime. The sight cost me 54 dollars.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom